A Good TV Tuner for my G4?

macidiot

Registered
I am looking for a PCI TV Tuner for my G4, I don't really want to settle for a USB, allthough that is all I can find. I would like oS X Support, since I use 10.1 as my primary OS. But I haven't found a single one that supports X yet. I am mostly going to use it to record shows, and save them on my HD. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have been looking too.. I have one now, but of course there are no OS X drivers for it. It is a Formac ProTV Stereo. It has both TV tuner and FM stereo. It seemed to have the best picture around..(next to my ATI TV wonder PCI[PC]). I keep looking on Formac's site to see if they will post OS X drivers, but nothing yet. The only other option I know of would be through one of the big video card vendors; ATI and Nvidia. I think we would see one from ATI before we see one from Nvidia though.

I agree on the part of the USB tuners. I tried MyTV and I could get better quality from a portable Casio tuner than I could with the crap. Apologies to anyone that may use on now, but if you had PCI tuner you would understand how much more throughput you get with PCI than with USB.

Hey I have a MyTV I have never actually used video through it yet only radio but there website say Drivers for it will be out in November which is now so I am guessing late november very late november.

I have a ProTV card as well. I tried emailing formac about drivers and never heard from them. :mad:

I certainly don't want an USB device. I looked for FireWire TV Tuners but could not find any.

I am doing without TV on my computer, but it is sure wearing thin...

Formac sells a firewire tv tuner called formac studio, they say it supports macos x (but it's more than a tv tuner so I don't know if all options are available), I'm thinking about buying one, then I could import from my analog camera and make a movie :)

Formac has indeed a Firewire device called Studi for digitizing analog (including TV) and digital video. up until recently they hadn't had accompanying OS X software for it, but now they've released public beta software called Tevion for the studio device. This allows you to watch TV on OS X and record old video tapes to Quicktime movies to name just a few opportunities.
Software is far from finished but at least I don't have to reboot to OS 9 to watch TV on my Mac.

cheers,
Rob

It's USB, but check Xclaim TV. It uses a single connection (USB) rather than USB and Sound-In required for MyTV. Otherwise, you could use a good video-in card and a VCR, that way you can copy videotapes into your Mac.

Back