a little off topic....

mightyjlr

Registered
if you have a cd image that you downloaded, is there a program you can use so that you can access the files in the image without burning it? Im not going to get my free CD burner for my powerbook for like 5 weeks... does such a program exist??

You should be able to open it up and look around. or if you need to start up off of it you could put in on another hard drive and start up off one and install on another.

does this help?

yeah, double click it, it should mount. However, if its complicated or has windows files, it might not show up right. In that case, use Toast (not the light version). It has an option to mount images.

Piece of advice... before you "mount" the image, I'd make sure that I locked it (in the "Get Info" dialog). When DP4 was around, if you double clicked and mount the image before you burnt it, somehow part of the disk was lost (the UFS portion, maybe). At least, that's what I read.

Good luck,

-JoeCrow

Originally posted by mightyjlr
if you have a cd image that you downloaded, is there a program you can use so that you can access the files in the image without burning it? Im not going to get my free CD burner for my powerbook for like 5 weeks... does such a program exist??

Question: How does one get a "free CD burner"?

if you bought a Ti Powerbook G4 during the summer you could send away for a free USB CD burner... only it takes 8-10 weeks to ship to you...

What is needed to clone the mounted image to another drive? My idea was just to cp /Volumes/MountedImage/*.* /Volumes/MyOtherrive/

...copy all the files on one to the other

yeah?

Doing <font color="#0000ff"><b>cp /Volumes/MountedVolume/*.*</b></font> won't copy all the files off of it, only the files that have a dot in their name (i.e. ReadMe.txt). Probably not what you want. :p

Also, if any of the files have a resource fork associated with them, they won't get copied right because the <font color="#0000ff"><b>cp</b></font> command ignores resource forks. If you installed the Developer Tools, there's a command in there called <font color="#0000ff"><b>CpMac</b></font> that will copy resource forks (it's at /Developer/Tools/CpMac). It's a command line app, as well.

You can do <font color="#0000ff"><b>cp</b></font> (or <font color="#0000ff"><b>CpMac</b></font>) <font color="#0000ff"><b>/Volumes/MountedVolume/*</b></font> to copy <i>almost</i> all of the files off of it - if any begin with a dot, it won't copy those, and you'll have to copy them manually. You can do <font color="#0000ff"><b>ls -a /Volumes/MountedVolume</b></font> to see if there are any files that start with a dot in it.

sorry vic! :) I found a better way to do it - Install it all by activating the OSInstall package with Installer. Very simple.

Back