A .mac question. Family pack or just me

fpayne

Registered
I am considering buying a .mac subscription and cannot decide between the family pack or the stand alone, I'm a lonely person, pack. My personal reasons are for back up, being able to access certain files from almost any pc anywhere in the world and to share pictures and 'things' with friends and family while I am in some other far off place. Which is quite often.
I know the public folder of the sole account can be viewed by anyone, even from a PC but would it be better to have the five accounts so we can all share in each others 'fun'. All the other accounts would be running it from a PC. Does anyone have any experience of either option, using it on a PC and be willing to share their honest opinion.
Thanks

You can always create individual folders in your public folder, i.e. create a family web page which links to each individual one.

If the other family members need any of the other features (email and private personal storage are the only ones I can think of that a PC can address) then it might be worth it.

That sounds a bit complicated to me. Presumably, the other people can post to the public folder as well as see what is in it. Assuming they have the password.
I certainly prefer the cheaper option.

I went to sign up and pay. Apple want a massive 21% tax on top of the price of membership and I live on a tax free island. Does everyone, even in the US, have to pay this tax. I know the argument rages about whether or not Apple take advantage of it's customer loyalty, but that is outrageous. I was actually looking forward to using it, but not beong taxed at that rate. And they reserve the right to put it up at any time. Sorry Apple, but you have taken a serious nose dive in my opinion.

Back