A Main Page?

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
I wanted to get some feedback from our Site Supporters to see what you all think of having a main page other than our forums for our site.

Since the beginning, we have always just been forums. Of course, many useful tools are available that integrate well like that create main pages very easily. Some of these are VBPortal.. an example would be:

http://www.vbportal.com/

Would this be a value added feature, or just an annoyance. When you visit sites that have these type of main pages, do you think, AH COOL, or do you think, HMM... GOOGLE here I come?

The other option is to create a "side panel" for the main forums page... accomplishing some of the same stuff, but still keeping the forums main page as the primary page.

I don't mind the side bar idea. Maybe a calendar or a Main Menu area with the main forums as the choices. But I'm not one for a home page type of thing. Plus would we have the ability to customize it or turn it off all together?

A portal, or home page to macosx.com would be a very good idea. It would take some load off the 'pinned' topics, I guess, because formal information could take place there.

There are loads of forums on Macosx.com (no bad thing), however I don't often have time to look at them all or keep up with conversations.

It would be interesting if on the homepage there could either be an aggregation of top topics or even better a selection of topics which matched a profile of my interests, that way I could get to see posts that sometimes I may miss until much later.

Also news often gets posted into forums - perhaps administrators or higher level members could mark a topic as news - this could them appear on a newsy type section on the home page - this would keep people updated with the latest developments at or around apple and maybe even prevent duplicate posting (yeah right ;) ). It would then become something akin to a comunal Blog

Or perhaps even some kind of apple WIKI where collectively owned discussions with a purpose could be held. Can't think of a specific example off hand.

Well that's my rambling lot!

:rolleyes:

well, the news belong to 'Apple News & Rumors', of course... I think the front page should rather sport macosx.com news. Plus maybe the five or ten threads with the newest answers...

one thing i've never liked about forums that run this page is my posts being viewed out of context - the latest posts kind o fthing. other than that, i'd be ok with it. i just feel it exploits people's privacy to place their name and content of the post on the front without the rest of the thread.

I home page would be nice. The example you showed looked cluttered to me though. I think some basic news on what's new and happening with a side bar with links to other useful Mac sites/resources would be good. Sections laid out for specific functions like the mail service you provide instead of just a link at the top of the page. Things of that nature would look good as the starting point of this site.

Personally I really like the idea of a main page. That VB portal main page is a little cluttered looking but a main page could have a lot of good uses.

Back