A partial Linux switcher.

Droopdude

Registered
i have almost enough cash saved to by my new MacBook 2.0GHz. I am switching from Linux due to the beautiful laptop support the Mac offers and Linux generally does not. I have struggled with what hardware options to buy, but have finally settled on the bare bones 2.0GHz system with a mini-dvi to vga. I know that an upgrade to 2G of ram is immediately required and I will do that 3rd party, and since I plan to use a file server, 60G should be more than enough for my needs. Apple care will be an 11th hour purchase. I'm glad to know that I do not have to purchase that up front, so my MacBook is that much closer. I came to these decisions thanks to the members of this forums. So, thank you. :)

A couple of questions:

I have a linux Mythtv backend / file server.
1. It appears Mythtv frontend is support on Mac, but how well?
2. I use NFS, how well or what utilities beyond CLI does Mac OS offer for mounting and using NFS?

I am really excited to be able to watching live TV / play multimedia over a wireless connection to my MacBook where ever I go in the house and yard.

Jim

Edit: Fix spelling in title.

2. I use NFS, how well or what utilities beyond CLI does Mac OS offer for mounting and using NFS?

Straight from the Mac's Help menu:

To connect to a computer or server:
Choose Go > "Connect to Server."
Type the network address for the computer or server in the Server Address text box, and then click Connect.
To add a computer or server to your Favorites list, click the Add (+) button.

If you have connected to the computer recently, you can choose it from the Recent Servers pop-up menu. If you have added a computer to the Favorites list, you can double-click it in the list.

Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your user name and password and select server volumes or shared folders.
The network address consists of the protocol followed by the DNS name and any additional pathname for the computer. Of course, you can use the IP address for the computer rather than its DNS name.

For AFP servers and computers using Personal File Sharing, type the address like this:

afp://ComputerName.CompanyName.com

To see the Personal File Sharing address for a Mac OS X computer, open Sharing preferences and select Personal File Sharing. The address appears below the services list.

To connect to SMB/CIFS (Windows) servers and shared folders, type the DNS name using one of these forms:

smb://DNSname/sharename

smb://IPaddress/sharename

You can also use the computer name. If you don't specify the shared folder as part of the address, you can choose it after you enter your user name and password.

To connect to an NFS server, type the DNS name and pathname like this:

nfs://DNSname/pathname

To connect to an FTP server as an anonymous user, type the DNS name or IP address for the server like this:

ftp://DNSname

You can also specify your user name using this form:

ftp://user@DNSname

If you use this form, a dialog appears for you to enter your password. You can specify both your user name and password using this form:

ftp://user:password@DNSname

Note: From the Finder you connect to FTP servers with read-only access. To copy files to an FTP server, use an FTP program.

To connect to a WebDAV server, type the DNS name and pathname like this:

http://DNSname/pathname

Zanzan

Further to the above, once you have connected to a server, you can drag its icon into the Login Items list (System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items) and it will attempt to connect to that server at login automatically. If you save the password in the keychain, you won't even see a prompt, the drive will just map if its available.

Back