a PowerMac server?

silicium

Registered
I was just wondering if it would be possible to use a PowerMac G4 as a web-server?

I want to use it for file-exchanging between home and everywhere (mostly school).

I allready have a Sawtooth G4 400MHz, and I have read that it should be possible, but I can't get it to work.

I am not the worlds greatest geek, so if I could get a step-by-step guide, i would be very happy.

Mac OS X has already a built-in webserver - all you need to do is configure it.

Macintosh HD > Library > WebServer
The documents are typically in the > Documents folder inside it.

Yes, I am aware of that, but I don't know how to configure it/access it when it's live

Last edited:
If you're behind a router, then you need to forward port 80 to your webserver computer.

After that, it's a simple matter of finding out the external IP address of your network at home, then typing in a web browser http://<your ip address>.

You need to access your router's web-based setup screen. For D-Link routers, it's usually accessed by going to the address 192.168.0.1 in your web browser. For Linksys routers, that address is usually 192.168.1.1. For other brands, you'd have to consult the manual that came with the router.

Then, it's a matter of finding the "port forwarding" section (it's different for every router, so you'll have to look around or consult the docs) and adding your computer's IP address and port into the correct fields.

After that, you're done -- access your web server by your external IP address, as described above.

thanks, I have now accessed it with a local IP, still dont have the internet-access configured, but I have a feeling that I'm heading down the right path

When you get everything running, you should also look into something like DynDNS.org or the like. If you don't have a static IP, this will allow you to register a domain name and have it point to the DynDNS servers for the IP information. For example, you could buy the domain silicium.com. You register at DynDNS and create the hostname of silicium.gotdns.com. You keep the DynDNS record updated with your public IP, so when someone types in silicium.com it points to silicium.gotdns.com, which points to the IP that you are currently using publicly.

Just a few tips on how you could expand on your solution, if you wished to publish your webpages for the general public to see. Depending on your router, you may have a DynDNS client built in that will automatically update your IP information to the DynDNS site.

Michael

what I'm trying to make is an FTP online, but I cant get it to work.
Anyhow, It's not for the public eye, this is just for personal backup

Ahhh - that's a bit different :)

FTP is port 21. You could enable the FTP service and setup the port forwarding for that.

Michael

I can access my computers website locally now, but I cant find the "port forwarding" on my routers setup (Its a Siemens (Klicky)).
And I don't know how to make my files available to a windows-computer online.

great news, I now have configured my router correct, so the only thing remaining is to access the files on my computer instead of a simple HTML-file

now everything works for file-exchange over the internet, but only for my mac, my PC says "530 User anonymous unknown", what do I do to make the login-screen pop up?

You have to have a static IP. Otherwise there's no point trying.
Try rebooting your router and looking at your ip.

Also: Do you have good protection on your router and computer?

Web hosting is very tricky.

I could always sort you some hosting if you like?

You have to have a static IP. Otherwise there's no point trying.
Try rebooting your router and looking at your ip.

Also: Do you have good protection on your router and computer?

Web hosting is very tricky.

I could always sort you some hosting if you like?

Well, you don't "have" to have a static IP. It does make things much simpler, but you can easily get around that limitation through using services (free, at that) like the DynDNS.com service, which automatically updates your DNS pointer with the proper IP address. :)

Michael

no thanks, I have everything up and running for a mac-mac network (even online), the only issue now is that my PC automatically tries to log on as "Anonymous" instead of popping up with a login-window

Back