a question for the sake of clarity

sithious

no longer a member
hi!
just to make sure i've got this right before i partition my disk and screw everything up:
if i want to be able to use os x and also os 9.1 separately (i have a couple of important apps that won't work under classic),
will it do to partition my harddisk into two bits, one small, say 2-3gigs for osx and the rest for os 9.1?
will os x work alright with apps that are on the os 9.1 partition or do all os x apps have to be on os x's partition?
i'm really not certain about this so i'll be glad of any advice...
thanks!

sithious.

Originally posted by sithious
hi!
just to make sure i've got this right before i partition my disk and screw everything up:
if i want to be able to use os x and also os 9.1 separately (i have a couple of important apps that won't work under classic),
will it do to partition my harddisk into two bits, one small, say 2-3gigs for osx and the rest for os 9.1?
will os x work alright with apps that are on the os 9.1 partition or do all os x apps have to be on os x's partition?

If you're going to do the dual partition thing, I'd
suggest going a little bigger on your OS X partition.
X will want to put its swapfiles on that drive, and
9.1 won't care where its apps are.

Originally posted by marmoset

If you're going to do the dual partition thing, I'd
suggest going a little bigger on your OS X partition.
X will want to put its swapfiles on that drive, and
9.1 won't care where its apps are.

thanks... but what are swapfiles?
and how much is bigger is 'a little bigger' ... : )

thanks... but what are swapfiles?
and how much is bigger is 'a little bigger' ... : )

By "swapfiles" I mean OSX's virtual memory storage.

I went with a 10 gig HFS+ partition for OS X and
a 5 gig partition for 9.1. If I were doing
it again, I would have probably done something
more like 13 and 2, but that's just me. ;)

While it is a good idea to partition it is not really necessary. You can simply install 9 and then install X over it. You can still dual-boot this way. If your worried about messing up with partitions just do this.

Originally posted by VGZ
While it is a good idea to partition it is not really necessary. You can simply install 9 and then install X over it. You can still dual-boot this way. If your worried about messing up with partitions just do this.

so will 9.1 work just as it always did if i reboot into it?
i read somewhere that os x does noodle around with 9.1's system in some way.. is this true?

the point is i'm using some fickle music-recording software (emagic logic) that will definately not work as classic according to the logic helpline... so of course i'm a little nervous, but i would like to have x so much anyway ... *sigh*

thanks for the help so far!

You would have to set up an extension set for classic and one for use when booted into 9. I have had no problems with the classic extensions when booted into 9 on the 2 or 3 occasions that I have rebooted since installing X.

?vTi]Originally posted by VGZ [/i]
You would have to set up an extension set for classic and one for use when booted into 9. I have had no problems with the classic extensions when booted into 9 on the 2 or 3 occasions that I have rebooted since installing X. [/QUOTE]

thanks, vgz!

how do i go about doing this?
could i maybe reinstall 9.1 into a new system folder for classic whilst keeping the old one to boot into as "9.1 complete" ? does the system care what the system folders are called?

If you must do two partitions, you might consider having a very small one to hold only the OS 9 system folder (if you can get a partition down to 300MB or less, I'd do that). That way you have the option to boot to a separate partition (useful for using the option key startup trick), but you're not wasting space the way partitions tend to do.

-Rob

?vTi]Originally posted by VGZ [/i]
You would have to set up an extension set for classic and one for use when booted into 9. I have had no problems with the classic extensions when booted into 9 on the 2 or 3 occasions that I have rebooted since installing X.

thanks, vgz!

how do i go about doing this?
could i maybe reinstall 9.1 into a new system folder for classic whilst keeping the old one to boot into as "9.1 complete" ? does the system care what the system folders are called?
[/QUOTE]

I have seen people that did two installs of 9 before installing X. One for Classic and another Clean Install for use when booted into 9. Since startup disk lets you choose the system folder of the disk you could do this.

You can change the name of the old system folder from previous to Classic to help keep thing neat. This would allow you to install a minimum install for Classic and use the extension set you want without having to change them every time you rebooted the machine.

thanks!
i think i'm prepared now... now i just have to wait for my os x to arrive in the post ... i'll put up a screenshot or something here once i've got it working ...
thanks a lot for your advice!

i'm very interested in this topic but the thread is rather confusing.
i have one question:

can i boot straight into 9.1 without having it on a separate partition?

thanks,

-R.

Back