A quick question regarding the Shared Folder

anaemik

Registered
Hi,

Forgive me if this question sounds obvious to some, but I'm new to Macworld right now, being a longtime PC user.

I'm just about to get my first Mac, which I'll be using for music production, and I'm just trying to figure out the best way of organising my file system.

I will also be getting an external firewire drive to supplement the internal drive, and plan on making this my audio drive, for samples and current projects etc.

For security purposes, I will be making the folders that I create for these files available only for myself.

However, there will be times when I need to make certain files available to other user accounts on the machine, so I figured that when I needed to, I could drop the relevant files into the shared folder. However, given the size of audio projects, I'd rather not have two copies of those files on the same computer, so my question is this: will placing an alias in the Shared Folder that points to a file or folder in an otherwise protected folder override the permission settings and grant access to that file? And if so, will they be able to save their own verions of that project without modifying the original file?

Thanks in advance for your response

Cheers!

Mike

I believe you can allow users to access certain folders (i.e. your audio one), I did this with my music folder, a long time ago. I've now just got my account on this mac so I'll quickly make a new account, to see how I did it, then I'll edit back.

Which mac are you getting?

Hi and thanks for your quick response.

The full spec of the Mac I'm getting is

2x2Ghz G5
1gig ram (I'll probably upgrade this to 3 gig within the month)
ATI Radeon 9650
160gb internal drive
LaCie 200GB triple interface external drive (will be using in firewire 800 mode)

I already have to use with the machine:

M-Audio Firewire 410 audio interface

Other software bought and ready to install:

iLife '05
Logic Pro 7.01

Ahh sweet :D

Well, sorted your query.

Turns out your suggestion will work. As long as the other user has no limits, and the folder (as well as the alias) has the correct privileges, you're set to go.

It's early, I know, but to set privileges, select the folder, press Apple + I (Get info), and under details, where it says Group, use the drop down menu to select the other user, then select "Read" or "Read/Write" depending on what suits you. It will make sense when you have the mac.

I don't know if both alias and true folder both need their privileges sorted, but you may as well do both to be on the safe side.

Back