A stupid query - on iSight

iluvosx

Registered
Hi guys,

A dumb question I guess !

iSight specified 128kbps network as one of its minimum requirements. I have a DSL connection but my pal is on a 56 dial-up. So does it mean I wouldnt be able to use iSight when chatting with him ? Does the 128 requirement apply to my side only ?

Thanks

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. :)

He can't use an iSight because he doesn't have the bandwidth for it, but you can send him 1-way video chat... although I'm not sure if he'd be able to download it fast enough. He might get choppy video, but he won't be able to send it.

There are no stupid queries... just stupid questions. :)

When it comes to connecting two of anything, the speed is always the lowest common denominator... in this case, yeah, I don't think you and your modem friend will be doing anything video-related anytime soon. He MIGHT be able to send you video decently, but that would be it.

I tried using iChat when visiting my parents in the Summer...

They've only got an ISDN connection at their house (no DSL available :-( ) and it wouldn't work, trying to connect to someone with DSL 512 kb

"Don't believe the hype" (In my experience, 128 just won't cut it! Sorry!)

hmm i use isight frquently on Yahoo messenger with no probs, i also use it with ichat. I also use the isight to put a web page with and updated picture. I think you want a full video and voice conversation. but even so i only use 64kbps digital line and the video is 2 frames a second so i wouldnt imagine the audio would require a lot more.

Back