A sure way to crash OSX

paulboy

Chief Evangelist
I went to www.planetoftheapes.com and it had flash all over the site and right at the intro, my whole system (10.04 and IE5.11) crashed hard. Couldn't even force quit or move the mouse. Is this reproduceable to all you X users out there? I reported this to apple.

yea that happened to me too with my system on the same site. It's a problem with IE and flash. Not sure exactly where tho. I tried the same site with the OmbiWeb browser....worked perfectly fine....

This seems to be a deeper problem then just IE and flash. OSX should not be brought down. Isn't this the whole point about memory protection? This is one nasty problem. No sweat though, a similar thing happens with my Win2k machine when I access a funky site. Just Freezes. But OSX?.....:(

I doubt if OS X was entirely hung - probably just Aqua. OS X is made up of two (main) components - Aqua and Darwin. Darwin in the UNIX bit and Aqua is the fancy GUI on top. If Aqua hangs then it will not accept input from keyboard or mouse. However if you have a network (and you have the computer set up to allow this) you will be able to terminal in from another computer, restart Aqua and off you go. I remember in the early days of X windows on other UNIX platforms having similar issues.

Where this is important is when you are using OS X as a server - such as routing/file server. Even though the front end will hang the computer will actually keep going and will work fine for its main use.

R.

Originally posted by roger
I doubt if OS X was entirely hung - probably just Aqua. OS X is made up of two (main) components - Aqua and Darwin. Darwin in the UNIX bit and Aqua is the fancy GUI on top. If Aqua hangs then it will not accept input from keyboard or mouse. However if you have a network (and you have the computer set up to allow this) you will be able to terminal in from another computer, restart Aqua and off you go. I remember in the early days of X windows on other UNIX platforms having similar issues.
Let us say that I have access to my Mac from another Mac via the terminal.

What should I type into the terminal to force-quit the Aqua UI ? Please be very specific and use a step by step approach... (remember you are talking to a dummy here, Unix-wise of course !)

Back