A tragic tale...

Trip

Registered
Ok, well, here's the story:

I'm really kinda sad. I want a powerful, new, computer. But I can't afford one. I can't afford anything even resembling a new computer. And it sucks. The computer I have right now has dents and bumps in it, the CD drive is TAPED close. And it won't run ANY of the newer programs out there. It's an iBook 500 Mhz G3.

Not too shabby, I know. But I REALLY want a new computer. I was considering signing up for freeminimacs.com but I know those things don't work unless you get people to sign up.

SO...if I started a signup donation type thing, do you think ANYBODY would be willing to help me out? I'm not necessarily asking YOU to do it, i'm just wondering if you think anybody would help me out.

Lame, I know. But I'm tired. And hopefull.

It's "Geek Tragedy".

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. No offense intended.)

EDIT: I felt compelled to explain further, so as not to seem cruel:

I regard myself as a geek - "computer geek" is not a term I would call derogatory. And of course, my joke is a pun: 'Greek Tragedy' was an ancient theatrical art form.

So of course, pining for a new computer I conceived of as 'Geek Tragedy' ...

How familiar are you with Windows and PC troubleshooting?? Believe me, it's true when they say that maintaining Windows PCs gives you job security... ::ha::

I am doing this now just to bring some extra cash for the house. Eventually, if things pick up, I am putting some of that money into a PowerBook. Hopefully by that time the G5s will have made it into the PowerBooks. :p

Just a suggestion...

yeah, windows pcs are easy as hell to troubleshoot, Id even be happy to walk you through some of the normal steps. you can charge upward of 50 bucks an hour and people will happily shell it out as long as they can go on ignorant of how to fix their machines.

Darkshadow said:
I wouldn't really rate that as tragic....

yeah. um, a couple hundred thousand people died on the other side of the world from a natural disaster. That is tragic, IMO.

yours is a tough spot. Same spot I was in for almost 2 years while I saved and scraped together money for my powerbook (working 2, 3 jobs at once. talk about TIRED...). it was a long time coming, but that much sweeter when I finally got it.

Put in the time and the effort. You'll get there.

So to answer your question: No, I don't think it's a very good idea. I don't think people would pitch in on that. There are a lot of other much more important things people could be donating their hard earned money to.
Not trying to be harsh here, but i don't think you wanting a new powerbook is gonna pull at the heart (or wallet) strings like Tsunami victims, War Refugees, etc etc.

SO...if I started a signup donation type thing, do you think ANYBODY would be willing to help me out?

You never know - you might be surprised. I'm not necessarily advising you to try it, but I have heard of situations where people have gotten donations for the most amazing things.

It helps to have a good story; I heard about a guy who raised his college tuition by putting an ad in the paper asking anyone who saw it to send him a penny toward his savings. It worked; within a few months he had all the money he needed and more. Of course, many donations were far more than a penny, and it helped that a local TV station saw the ad and interviewed him for the local news.

Many people have raised money online for loved ones in need of surgery.

But by far the weirdest one I ever heard of was the gal who successfully raised enough money for breast augmentation surgery. She was a college-age girl and had a website called 'www.donateboobs.com'. She promised the top 10 donators a set of 'before and after' nude pictures. Once she had the surgery, I believe she put the domain up for sale -- I'd check it now, but at the moment I can't - firewall issues.

If people will donate for that, then who knows -- they might buy you a mac mini.

pity your ibook isnt in better shape. i constantly see that model at all sort of used computer sales for about 3000 kr (that would be about... hm... 300 €). i know a lot of people who bought them just to play with (open up, try to overclock or just pc people who want to own a cheap mac as a portabel videoplayer). My point being: if you can fix it up maybe you can sell it for 200-250 €. then buy the 1.2 ghz 12' ibook at the apple store. give them the 250 € (and everything else you've found in your sofa etc) and then you pay them 25 $ a month through the apple credit account. as simple as that. that is how i got my eMac (that i later sold to my kid sister so i could be a man and buy a powerbook)

following-up Brian's suggestions:

maybe offer some free web design services/whatever to donators once your goal of a new computer is met. that COULD get out of hand of course but if there's something in it for them when it's all over with (before/after boobs pics as Brian mentioned) there may be a better chance of getting some $ out of it.

I still wouldn't do it - maybe I'm bitter ;) - but good luck

Something else to bear in mind: if you're a student, there are educational discounts.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/routingpage.html

I know you recently graduated high school (right?) but if you decide to start college, you'd be set.

Failing that, if you know someone who IS a student - or for that matter, a teacher - who'd be willing to make the purchase for you, that'd work too.

Back