a wee bit of help.....

brentasaurus

Registered
I have some instructions on how to...um...register for a new program.....and I cant figure out how to do it....the command the instructions give for the terminal is wrong....here are the instructions:

2. Find your ethernet address (HostID).
In MacOSX open the Terminal Windows and type "lmhostid" and press Enter.
3. Now, replace the 000000000000 in the license with your HostID.
Save. (Don't rename)

there is no "lmhostid" command. So is there something similar similar?

Any help would be much appreiciated...............b

No entry for lmhostid in the unix documentation, no files match that anywhere on my disk. I can only guess that whoever gave you these "registration" ;) instructions must have no idea what they're saying.

Here's what I would try:

In your terminal type 'ifconfig -a'.
You'll see an entry for 'loO', ignore that.

You should have at least one other entry. I've got an ethernet connection, so mine is 'en0'. If you're on a modem, you'll see something else. I assume that the host id is either your ip address or your MAC address.
The ip address is the text after 'inet' and has four dot separated numbers (like 192.168.0.1).
The MAC address is on the line that says 'ether' and has some ':' separated characters. I'm not sure what you'll see with a modem. You may want to remove the colons from the MAC address.

Well, MATLAB on unix uses lmhostid :)

If you've got MATLAB for OS X, I sure would be interested in knowing about it... (pant pant)

They look like the instructions that were floating about for a certain 3D application having a version number 3.5. If they are, forget it. From what you describe those instructions are incomplete , and won't work.

lmhostid is part of FlexLM, a common license manager for Unix (and other) OS's.

If flexlm was installed with some app, I'd say check to see if it's in the same directory structure. If it installed separately, I'm not sure where it may be, as the flexlm site doesn't list much info for the OS X version. On Solaris, it's under /etc/opt/licenses.

You can always do a search for it,

Code:
$ locate lmhostid

However, if it was installed recently, the locate database may not have it yet, so you'd have to resort to a slower method,

Code:
$ find / -fstype local -name lmhostid -print

Back