Aaargh, Metamorph X disaster!!!

uoba

Re: member
I just installed the Unlined Charcoal theme of MetamorphX on my G4/466 with OSX 10.1.1. After logging out and even restarting the machine it will not get to the Log-In screen and just has a permanent BLUE SCREEN of DEATH!!!!!

Help Help Help SOS etc etc.

I swear I'll be good this time around if anyone helps!! Pleeeeeasssee!:eek:

I reinstalled the 10.1 update and now everything is back to normal (nothing lost thankgoodness!)

Ah, the joys of MacOS!

:D

You got bit by the 10.1 theme bug. All previous themes will not work with the update.
There are now about half a dozen new themes for 10.1 (and 10.1.1). I'm using Sinewave's Sosumi theme myself. It's a well-designed and marvelously detailed theme, with custom login and startup panels, scrollbars, and widgets (and probably other stuff that I'm forgetting).
:D

I also am using Sosumi and yes, it is a great theme. Its very nice to have square edged top window corners again, And yet it still feels very "Aquaey".
I am very excited about more themes becoming available though, and I will be creating themes soon, so I will let you know.

Make a backup copy of the Extras.rsrc file from your clean Aqua installation (use Sherlock to find it).

Put that backup in a place where you can access it while booted in OS9. Then if your login window gets wedged like that again try booting from an OS9 CD and restoring the clean copy of Extras.rsrc.

I stumbled on this after having to do the clean re-install like you did and trying to reproduce the error. I did; and fixed it using the above method.

That's a great feature of the sosumi perl install script; it backs up Aqua before replacing anything.

I took the liberty of editing Sine's sosumi installer, an honestly I have no idea if it was necessary. I assume Sine's had some type of uninstall and restore already built in, but I did it anyway and it works. I would be more than happy to post it somewhere if someone needs it.

Basically all I did was remove the backup command in Sine install.pl, and dropped all the original Aqua resources into the Files folder.

Low and behold it worked. By the way I am no programmer by any means, so I would be greatful if someone will to verify my installer to make sure I am not sending out some crazy file that will take down a Mac system.

Actually Sine if you are out there, let me know if this would be alright to distribute.

Jason

Back