AAC tags?

lonny

Fearless Thinker
Didn't have enough time to play with the new babies...
I read that AAC uses tags, just like mp3. But is there a way to edit them in iTunes? Or what utils should be used?

cool...

actually I've always used MP3Rage to edit tags.. didn't know it could be done from within iTunes.

For BPM calculation... better head to Traktor :D

Originally posted by toast
... and no automatic BPM calculator. What a shame :rolleyes:
Yeah that would have been nice. Traktor does it but it would be useful to have in iTunes. Or if not always useful then cool :)

I thought AAC tags were limited. I had no idea you could edit them in MP3Rage - my preferred editor also.

No, I don't think you can edit AAC tags with MP3Rage.

I'm wondering how it can be done. From what I understand you can change displayed tags in your iTunes playlist , without actually changing the file's tags.

I can't play on my mac right now.. I'm at work and was looking for some enlightment ::angel:: (just loved this emoticon)

I think AAC supports ID3v2 tags just like MP3. It's a shame however, Apple has seemed to leave out a couple features of it, such as lyrics.

Anyone know if iTunes encoded AACs (ripped directly from CDs I own) have the same copy protection as the ones you can d/l from the iTunes Music Store?

Anyone know if iTunes encoded AACs (ripped directly from CDs I own) have the same copy protection as the ones you can d/l from the iTunes Music Store?

they don't.

I still can't figure it out!
I tried to append ID3 tags to an AAC encoded file with MP3Rage (yeah, kind of lame, I know) and I ended up with a corrupted file.

Can't find info anywhere on how to do it right...

Originally posted by lonny
didn't know it could be done from within iTunes.

wha? seriously you didn't know it could be done with itunes??
shocking.gif

If you are ripping music in iTunes, from a CD whose info is already there thanks to CDDB (make sure iTunes is doing this, or else...lots o' typing), then most of the id3 tags are there and complete.

wha? seriously you didn't know it could be done with itunes??

Well... I tried and yes, you can edit displayed info, but not the tags in the file itself, i.e. if you play the song in another app (or platform) the tags won't show.

Well... I tried and yes, you can edit displayed info, but not the tags in the file itself, i.e. if you play the song in another app (or platform) the tags won't show.

That must be you. How do you do this? Just select the song (or group of songs) you want to update the tags from and press cmd-i. This'll take you to the info pane, where you'll need the 'info' tab. Just type away and press ok.

This info DOES show in other apps.
Just to be sure, however (especially if you've gotten the tracks of of some p2p network, or usenet, or an ancient version of itunes), before adjusting the tag info, select the songs you'll update, and choose 'convert id3 tags' from the 'Advanced' menu, then check 'id3 tag version' and choose 2.4, then press ok.

I have, of about 10.000 to 15.000 songs I tagged with iTunes, had about 20 that didn't 'stick', after doing all of the above. That's when I went for mp3rage.

Of course, this is wrp MP3s, not AAC. You'll notice that mp3rage aptly starts with MP3 (meaning it is for MP3s). AAC's will have to be tagged by itunes for now. I wouldn't know though, I haven't yet encoded something into it.

Well ok, thanks for the info, I'll give it a second chance... might have been "bad" mp3's.

. You'll notice that mp3rage aptly starts with MP3 (meaning it is for MP3s)

Actually I noticed... erm.. some time ago :rolleyes:
I was just experimenting to see what would happen.

Plus I have been playing with AAC since QT6 came out. Sounds weird that no one encoded songs in AAC before iTunes4 came out...

Being a (hobbyist) musician/producer (as you can see from my avatar ;) )I find AAC a much better standard to distribute my music over the net.

Originally posted by Horseteeth

Of course, this is wrp MP3s, not AAC. You'll notice that mp3rage aptly starts with MP3 (meaning it is for MP3s). AAC's will have to be tagged by itunes for now. I wouldn't know though, I haven't yet encoded something into it.

AAC's in itunes are using the exact tags that a MP3 currently does. This very well could work within MP3Rage.

There's not much credibility in a name any more. There are many "MP3 players" that support WAV, AIFF, MP2, WMA, and strangely enough winamp now actualy supports video as well.

There is also a version of "WIN"amp for mac as well.

Being a (hobbyist) musician/producer (as you can see from my avatar ;) )I find AAC a much better standard to distribute my music over the net.

It would be good thing, then, to have a link in your sig. For the moment you're nothing but an avatar with headphones, some URL to your music would be fine :)

Back