About Carbon and Xcode ?

macro

Registered
Our requirement is to code in Carbon using Xcode and must be compatible in both versions of MAC OS X./8.6/9. is that possible ?

we are quite new to the mac environment. so it would be greatful if anyone could suggest some suggestions...

also there are certain doubts regarding..

1. Hardware Interface – How can we overcome this two different architectural device driver problem? Is carbon providing any APIs to work across different OS versions

2.While running over 68K processor there are lot of obsolete managers like Trap Manager, Trap Table, Mixed Mode Manager and Patch Manager, what are they? Do we really need them? If so as per your comments MAC OS X doesn’t support them, then what are the available options?

3.Can we use C++ along with Carbon?

4.Which compiler you prefer to compile the application?

5.Is it possible for us to going a native calls i.e. BSD/POSIX APIs while taking into consideration that the underlying kernel is a UNIX variant? If so what are the limitations?

Thanking You,

> rG.

I can only imagine that since Apple's stance is to discontinue support for OS 9 in favor of X leads me to believe the two systems aren't meant to go together. They coexist on current computers, but that's to appease those people with "Classic" applications.

You may find programming for both to be very problematic at best. Most software for mac I have seen has a Classic version and an OS X version.

Don't know the answers to the rest of your questions but this might be enough to let you know about the current state of the mac and programming for it. Check out the super geeky X11 section of macosx.com for some real nitty gritty on this subject.

:)

Hope that helps!

You cannot develop software for OS 8.6 or OS 9 using Xcode. You have to use Codewarrior or MPW for that, which is more of a pain in the ass than I'd like to go into at the moment.

To be more specific, XCode can only produce Mach-O format executables, which run only on CFM. CodeWarrior must be used to produce CFM format executables, which run on OS X or OS 9.

Developing for less than OS X these days is a waste of resources. While OS 9 users still exist, their numbers are decreasing every day. Programming for OS 9 far more difficult, and thus, you will expend a bunch of resources for a quickly declining return.

Wade

Back