About OS X file

designer

Registered
Hi all,

I have a question for everybody.

I run terminal with top command and found out that there is command called DTDaemon.

It takes about 95% of my CPU.

What is it and how can I make it stop?

I had three panics this week. I have never had that kind of problem with X.

DTDaemon is caused that Panics, I think.

I will appreicate if someone help me out with this.

Thanx in advance

It's not on my set up. Can you think of anything you installed lately that might be abbreviated DT? It might be redundant to tell you, but for people who don't know a Daemon is a program that runs invisibly. If you have remote log in enabled you are simply running the program called sshd.

It's probably something you installed so figure out what it does first. Then if it's not going to ruin your computer you could use the kill command and see what program breaks. It's your call on that one tho, I'm pretty reckless but I would never kill something as root, which is what it might take.

DTDaemon is the Deletion Tracking Daemon installed with Norton for OS X products.

Uninstall Norton (esp. System Works) and you should be fine. It's totally unnecessary to have Norton on X anyway, IMHO.

I'd check Symantec's site to see if there's an update.

Just killing the process will probably cause you system to hang, but if you delete the dtdaemon.plist file (and maybe the directory that it's in, if it looks like it was created by Norton), that should stop it from running wild. Running Norton again, however, will probably recreate it and the problem along with it.

Does anyone here have anything positive to say about System Works for OS X?

Yeah, I have something good to say about system works, the virus software works fine :)

As to the other stuff, especially file saver, turn it off. Filesaver loves to kernel panic if you try to delete files larger then like 500M. Also had fun with the first time I installed system works it decided to zero out a bunch of files, atleast i needed to reinstall anyways :)

It's really not bad to keep norton on the system as long as you disable it, as it might actually come in handy at some point, but as to it being handy proactively, I wouldn't trust it a damn bit.

Brian

Back