About PB batteries.

mailseth

Registered
Which setup will last you longer, two batteries that you always use to half their potential, or one battery that you compleatly drain every time you use it, but then buy a second one (and treat it the same) when the first goes down the drain?

I have always thought that the former will last you longer for chemical reasons, but my girlfriend said that she was at a computer store and they told her to always drain her laptop battery before she plugs it in to recharge for longer battery life. Personally I think they are feeding her bs to get her to buy more laptop batteries, but I am not sure enough of the evidence behind this for me to convince her.

Can someone else lend me a hand here?
Thx,
Seth

Yeah, the best idea is to discharge the battery completely before recharging it. I won't explain the details, but it simply makes the battery last longer ;)
I'm not completely sure if this really applies to laptop batteries, since they use completely other technologies than most other rechargeable batteries, but I suppose so. The best thing is, though, to have two or more batteries and to discharge them both completely before recharching them ;)

Older battery technologies endorses the draining of battery before recharging to prevent the "memory effect" - essentially the batteries become less effective as time goes on. However, newer technologies (Lithium ion batteries) no longer have the memory effect, so it doesn't really matter if you completely drain the batteries or not. Only laptops that uses Nickel-hydriad batteries (if any still do) needs their batteries drained.

-B

Ok, hmmm. So it really doesn't matter how much I discharge my Lithium-ion Pismo batts?

I am trying not to end up like my dad's work pismo batt, which has only has about 40-50 mins at full charge.

Like phatsharpie said, the full-drain battery thing is to prevent the "memory effect".

However, it's just better to drain your whole battery because you get more use out of it. Batteries naturally degrade over time no matter how you use them, so in five years or so you'll probably have significantly less battery time than you do now – I don't think you can do anything to stop that.

A week ago I gave someone a tip, that putting the battery to freezer, it should take away that memory-effect. Or it works with mobile phones (NiMh) batteris. The person who i gave this tip never told me did it work or not, but it works with mobile phones batteris, so why not with laptops..

So why not make a try, if it don't work properly anymore...

Back