Absolute minimum spec for OSX

XPostFacto.

Free (except for support now or in the near future), and it will work with G3/G4 upgrade cards.

Hm, I am just in the process of installing and configuring my iMac Rev. B, 233 MHz for OSX. I am a bit confused by what Apple and most other sources say about the maximum memory for the old iMacs, namely 256 MB. That would be 2 x 128 MB SO-DIMMS, right? Nonetheless, a local dealer claimed, 256 MB modules would work in my iMac as well. So I bought one, only to watch my Mac recognizing only 128 MB of the 256 MB. So, tell me: what sort of particular SO-DIMM did you use to get 320 MB? Are there any differences between SO-DIMMs for the older iMacs and G3 Powerbooks on one hand and those for G4 Ti and new iBooks? I know about the physical limitations (I need a low profile DIMM for the lower slot etc.) but what about other things?

Thanks

oh, btw I am writing this from a 8600 with 10.1.5 running. Also, I read an article in another thread about someone who was running 10.2 on a 8600. But maybe you know already since this is an old thread

I use an old-arsed 9600 at work which has been upgraded with a Sonnet G3 400MHz/1Mb
card.
I've recently installed Jaguar on it, after running OSX since it's been out. Although it doesn't break the sound barrier I find it quite useful and productive.
Granted, the 9600 has 308MB RAM and a few other goodies but, hey, it works and I'm happy with it.
Now, my flat-panel iMac 800MHz screams with Jaguar but that's another story

*grins* I like how you all seem to think 128mb RAM is the minimum for OS X.

Hehe, I have OS X, 10.1.2 running on my Rev. D 333mhz iMac... with 96 MB RAM!

And it's usueable!

I'm running Mac OS 10.2 on a rev a iMac, slightly upgraded though:

PPC G3 @ 233 Mhz
6 SGRAM (Video Memory)
20 Gb HD @ 7200 RPM
2x 128 Mb PC-100 SDRAMs (But they run @ 66 Mhz)

Mac OS 10.2 is the first OS X to run decently on this machine, I tried 10.1 and it was liveable but OS 9 was just so much faster, 10.2 changed this. 9 is still faster either way so the choice is up to you ...

The fact that the videocard is not supported by OS X sucks big time ... No 3D acceleration at all, good thing I have the G4 to let me play RTCW & Warcraft III ;-)

Greetz,
.anerki

Back