AC3 5.1 Sound on MacOS X

Essage

I have a DivX movie with AC3 5.1 sound. How do I play it?

Is there any program that have realtime downmix to 2ch, so that I can watch it on my TiBook?

I have a DD/DTS reciever with optical and coaxial input. And I´ve come across a couple of 3rd-party products that you connect to the USB-port that gives you an optical output from the computer, but none have been compatible with mac. Does anyone know any product of that kind that is compatible with mac os x?

And if there is, can I just play the movie in quicktime like i use to and get my reciever to play the sound in 5.1?

I´ve just recieved a Sony CAV-U5 USB Digital converter. I´ve connected it to the USB-port and to my Reciever. I select it in sound output device in sound-preferences. And it works great with 2 channel sound (PCM 44.1 KHz). But when I try to play a DivX-movie with AC3 5.1-sound it´s just like it was before, no sound. I was hoping it would work, but it doesn´t :(

I´ve talked to Apple and they say QuickTime supports 5.1-sound but the sound-card in my TiBook only handles 2 channels. But aren´t I bypassing the sound-card by choosing Sony CAV-U5 in sound output device?

Can someone help me to explain how to get this to work, or tell me why I won´t get it to work.

//essage

Just tried to play a DVD with DD 5.1-sound. That didn´t work either!

What wrong, why doesn´t it work?

Back