Accented vowels in Russian

drfranke

Registered
I need to put stress mark over accented characters in Russian. I can borrow a couple of equivalent vowels from English, but I still need to put accents over purely Russian vowels. The dead keys do not work while using a russian keyboard.

Any help would be appreciated. A PDF example is enclosed.

Attachments

• verb.pdf
    22.4 KB · Views: 4
Open System Preferences.
Click on International and then on Input Menu.
Select the charactere palette on the list below.

Now on all of the menu bars of your apps, after Help, there's a little white icon (if you use more than one international keyboard, you have to click on the flag).

If you click on it, the character palette appears and you can select all symbols or characters you want to insert.

3mors,

the character palette doesn't cut it. I still can't put stress over the vowels in Russian, only accented latin characters.

drfranke

Go to System Preferences and open the "International" panel. Click on the "Input Menu" tab. Enable the "Character Palette" and a new icon appears in the menu bar. Select "Show Character Palette" from the menu. In the Character Palette select "All" in the "View" popup menu. Select "Cyrillic" from the list in the "Unicode Blocks" tab. Highlight the desired character and click the Insert button to insert the character in your document.

Yes, Slur and 3mors, I selected all, and I have the accent acute, "stress mark going right" in the glyphs, but I need to combine this with the Russian vowel. How do I get the accent mark over the vowel. In English I select alt + the vowel and it immediately puts the stress over it, but no such luck w/ the cyrillic script. Any help would be appreciated.

This message is for anyone, like me, that has the same question and stumbles upon this thread; it is obviously not directed at the original question, which was asked some six years ago.

Anyway, the answer is that you should use the accented English vowels. The vowels in English in Russian are largely the same, so for most words, which accent the a,e, or o, you can just the accented English equivalent. That solved most of my problems. But if someone figures out how to apply accents to Russian characters I would love to know how you do it.

Back