Access Windows Shares Under Mac OS X in 10 Easy Steps

sorry about the double post all =)

The new OSX Beta installer worked great, right now my Snap! server (which is running NFS) is totally usable. the Windows 2000 box, while I can see the icon in the Network folder is still show no files/directories when I browse into it. Sharity doesn't officially support 2000, I think the main reson it's not working however is that I can't find any kind of NFS in 2000.... Is this just me or do we need some upgrade to get this to work...?

good luck all, Tony

Just to tell everyone that Sharity is an awesome program. if you have a network with both mac and windows you have to get this.

The reason you're not seeing the folders under the Win 2k machine is that you probably have to login to it - use the GUI to do so...

-n8

I had actually tried that before I posted, mb I did something wrong? I believe I configured everything right because my Snap requires a password also...and that is visible.

here are my setting's-

Sharity Mounts-

/Ntework/CIFS
/usr/local/sharity/var/mou

CIFS Logins- both the Snap and 2k box, however the 2k's remote user is Administator as opposed to root.

CIFS Browsers- Domain = Foo, only Sho List of Domains is checked.

CIFS Servers- 2k box with correct login/pass entered, nothing checked. (options)

CIFS General- Default Domain= Foo

Does this sound right? Also has anyone tried this with Irix yet...?

Thanks, Tony

Re-read the HOW-TO - you need to hold Control as you click the link and select "Download Link to Disk"

-n8

Worked wonderfully. Like you had any doubts. Now for the hard part. Getting it to work on my network. Thank you so much for your help n8, and your quick reply.

Every time I try to open the GUI... it crashes.

I can see the shares and I want to log in but I can't seem to log in using the Terminal... I can't get the GUI open.... It is located in the Applications folder like it is supposed to be...

I have no idea what someone earlier meant by using "OpenUp" to install the installer... do I have to uninstall? Then re-download it?

I can't login to any of the Shares... help

-Andy

Every time I try to open the GUI... it crashes.

I can see the shares and I want to log in but I can't seem to log in using the Terminal... I can't get the GUI open.... It is located in the Applications folder like it is supposed to be...

I have no idea what someone earlier meant by using "OpenUp" to install the installer... do I have to uninstall? Then re-download it?

I can't login to any of the Shares... help

-Andy

Sorry about the double-post... I hit the back button and it automatically resent my message...

-Andy

Not sure why this happened...

I uninstalled so that I could reinstall and see if the GUI would open up... it ran into a problem shutting down the Daemon when unistalling but it got rid of the /usr/local/sharity folder... so I went to the temp directory and ran the uninstaller there... it told me that the /usr/local/sharity folder was gone... ok

I restart

I re-download the installer... un-tar it ... log in as the Administrator in the terminal... and now it's telling me that I need to log in as the administrator in order to install... I only have one account on this machine... I logged in using the su command... same as before when it originally installed... why can I suddenly not install it using the EXACT same method I used before...

Please help

thank you

Andy

I apologize for the many posts...

I figured out the administrator thing... I needed to run the installer from the terminal

Still... the Sharity Application (GUI) crashes every time I try to open it... anyone else have this problem? What is "OpenUp"... an uncompressor for UNIX?

Thank you,

Andy

Back at the download site there is a folder at the top of the FTP site that has an installer for OSX, its much easier to install. I had the same problem uninstalling sharity the first time, I ended up just deleting all the folders that belonged to Sharity and when I reinstalled using the new installer I assumed it would write over any previous files installed. Either way the new install worked and I just ordered my liscence =)

gl, Tony

I am running the Newer Sharity for the Public Beta -- the second link given out in this thread, not the one in the original HOW-TO. The Sharity GUI Application crashes everytime I try to start it up... anyone know how to fix it?

-Andy

I too have Sharity up and running and can see all or the servers on the NT (Networking for Toddlers) domain but am not able to launch the browser app successfully and am having trouble logging into a server manually...

are there any directions for loging into a particular server manually???

ahhh the baby steps to have connectivity... :)

I figured out how to manually attach to the server

from "/usr/local/sharity/bin" you just need to type
"cifslogin <server> -U <user name>" and it will then prompt you for a password.... you can then go brouse that server from the network in the finder...

I still have 1 issue and 1 question.

Issue: the Sharity app crashes....

Question: What will happen to the box when I leave for the day... will I have to unmount the CIFS or will I have no problems with it??? I will find out soon enough...

thanks for any input guys...
(thanks for the Samba info but I do not want to run samba yet if they want info from me they can just learn how to FTP dammit)

I figured out how to manually attach to the server

from "/usr/local/sharity/bin" you just need to type
"cifslogin <server> -U <user name>" and it will then prompt you for a password.... you can then go brouse that server from the network in the finder...

I still have 1 issue and 1 question.

Issue: the Sharity app crashes....

Question: What will happen to the box when I leave for the day... will I have to unmount the CIFS or will I have no problems with it??? I will find out soon enough...

thanks for any input guys...
(thanks for the Samba info but I do not want to run samba yet if they want info from me they can just learn how to FTP dammit)

Back