Access Windows Shares Under Mac OS X in 10 Easy Steps

The only problem i have with sharity is that i can not see one of the drives on my network. On one of my macs i have dave running and have it set soit can share its harddrive. When i go into the network area in macos x i can see the mac and see the drive and able to log into it. but i can not see its contants. Does anyone know how i can get this to work, so i can see its contants?

Thanks fro the detailed instructions there.. shame I cant get anything to work! :(
got it all to startup eventually, but no GUI app and cant access anything. just keep getting:
UNIX: Error connecting to daemon: [2] No such file or directory. bummer eh.
through the terminal.

Hello all,

I just discovered why sharity "crashes" on startup!
Well, first of all, it doesn't crash at all, but if you open the terminal and try to execute the program from the command line, you will receive this error:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# /Applications/Sharity.app/Sharity

Oct 07 17:58:13 Sharity[419] Unable to load nib file: AppleMain_Sharity, exiting

This should be kept in mind: because of the UNIX nature of MacOS X some programs give their output on the console....

So the problem is that it doesn't find the AppleMain_Sharity.nib file but if you list the contents of Sharity.app the file is there (it is a subdirectory: /Applications/Sharity.app/Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib)

so what's wrong with it? if you list it, here is the result:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# ls -l
total 264
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2174 Oct 6 23:48 ExpertDis.
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2174 Oct 6 23:48 ExpertEn.t
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 330 Oct 6 23:48 Image-1.ti
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3614 Oct 6 23:48 NoE.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 70950 Oct 6 23:48 ShLrg.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 975 Oct 6 23:48 classes.ni
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4514 Oct 6 23:48 huelle.tif
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13250 Oct 6 23:48 obdev.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 9941 Oct 6 23:48 objects.ni
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 330 Oct 6 23:48 verlauf.ti

for some odd reason (a bug somewhere) the installer did not create the correct file names but they where truncated.

If you just rename the files to their correct names the application will just run fine! here are the correct names:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# ls /Applications/Sharity.app/Resources/English.lproj/Main_Sharity.nib
ExpertDis.tiff Image-1.tiff ShLrg.tiff huelle.tiff objects.nib
ExpertEn.tiff NoE.tiff data.classes obdev.tiff verlauf.tiff
[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root#

Hope this helps!

Fabio Lecca

Hello all,

I just discovered why sharity "crashes" on startup!
Well, first of all, it doesn't crash at all, but if you open the terminal and try to execute the program from the command line, you will receive this error:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# /Applications/Sharity.app/Sharity

Oct 07 17:58:13 Sharity[419] Unable to load nib file: AppleMain_Sharity, exiting

This should be kept in mind: because of the UNIX nature of MacOS X some programs give their output on the console....

So the problem is that it doesn't find the AppleMain_Sharity.nib file but if you list the contents of Sharity.app the file is there (it is a subdirectory: /Applications/Sharity.app/Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib)

so what's wrong with it? if you list it, here is the result:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# ls -l
total 264
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2174 Oct 6 23:48 ExpertDis.
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2174 Oct 6 23:48 ExpertEn.t
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 330 Oct 6 23:48 Image-1.ti
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 3614 Oct 6 23:48 NoE.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 70950 Oct 6 23:48 ShLrg.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 975 Oct 6 23:48 classes.ni
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 4514 Oct 6 23:48 huelle.tif
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 13250 Oct 6 23:48 obdev.tiff
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 9941 Oct 6 23:48 objects.ni
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 330 Oct 6 23:48 verlauf.ti

for some odd reason (a bug somewhere) the installer did not create the correct file names but they where truncated.

If you just rename the files to their correct names the application will just run fine! here are the correct names:

[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root# ls /Applications/Sharity.app/Resources/English.lproj/Main_Sharity.nib
ExpertDis.tiff Image-1.tiff ShLrg.tiff huelle.tiff objects.nib
ExpertEn.tiff NoE.tiff data.classes obdev.tiff verlauf.tiff
[localhost:Resources/English.lproj/AppleMain_Sharity.nib] root#

Hope this helps!

Fabio Lecca

When I go to log into one of my window drives with sharity it logs in fine. But my problem is I can not copy a file to it. I have the drive setup so you can write and read from it. Can someone help me with this? Thanks

Well that did it exactly... Did you report that back to Sharity??? Once I made those changes the Sharity app came up with no problems....

Kirk

Originally posted by kboston
Well that did it exactly... Did you report that back to Sharity???

Actually they were already well aware of the problem and it ought to be fixed in the latest release (just out).

The problem was, that the OSX release was a real beta and not meant for the audience yet. But versiontracker and we found the releasel, and everyone started downloading and installing it. Their next beta 5 only was released to a select group of beta testers, by mail only. (me being one of them btw.)
Now b6 is out. Looks good so far.

DJ

The new one works very, very well -- I highly recommend this program. The installer is very good now as well. The problem with the earlier beta (the file names not being complete) was caused by the 'tar' command... it should've been 'gnutar' -- 'gnutar' uncompressed the files correctly but that has been taken care of -- the new download uncompresses the file for you and the installation is very easy -- go here:
http://www.obdev.at/Products/SharityForOSX.html

-Andy

I can not copy stuff to any of the shared windows drives from my macos x. It states that i can not copy anything because i do not have permission but then again i do since i put in the correct password. Can someone help me out?

Originally posted by garretwp
I can not copy stuff to any of the shared windows drives from my macos x. It states that i can not copy anything because i do not have permission but then again i do since i put in the correct password. Can someone help me out?

You have to give each share specifically write permission.
And make sure the permissions of directories on the drive are right.
Use User sharing and no Share in the global part.

Use SWAT to edit all this.
I you need more help, go to the samba manual
http://samba.he.net/

I do have the drives on the windows computer set up for write promission thats what i stated earlier i jsut cant get it to copy anything on those drives with out having it say cant write to disk. I am running sharity though.

has anyone done any sort of benchmarking with sharity?? I would be interested to see what sort of speeds you're getting over 100 Mbit compared to say running the DAVE client on OS 9.

[Edited by mauty on 10-12-2000 at 02:22 PM]

My Sharity installation was smooth, and I can see all the Win95 and Win2K machines on our network. I can't, however, see the NT4 servers (P and BDCs). Is there something NT4 needs to know?

Shinji Kuwayama

Originally posted by shinji_kuwayama
I can't, however, see the NT4 servers (P and BDCs). Is there something NT4 needs to know?

As far as i know: NO
And they work fine in my network.

So it has to be something else.
Try contacting the people from Sharity and maybe they can help you create a debuglog, so they can figure out what is wrong.

DJ

That thing is nice, I tried and it works well from now. But what about being able to connect to Macs the same way. I mean, in OS X, you can't connect to another Mac on the network with appleshare (not IP), and there are no tools to do it up to now. I'm I wrong? It sounds quite strange!

Originally posted by latourfl
That thing is nice, I tried and it works well from now. But what about being able to connect to Macs the same way. I mean, in OS X, you can't connect to another Mac on the network with appleshare (not IP), and there are no tools to do it up to now. I'm I wrong? It sounds quite strange!

Well it still has a bug. You cannnot upload. And that is highly irritating. Seems to be a problem with the finder so i have heard.

Only Appleshare over IP is working in OSX
The traditional and still most widely used appleshare over Appletalk is not yet finished.

According to some it is quistionable if it ever will, but i my opinion i think they will

Originally posted by The DJ

According to some it is quistionable if it ever will, but i my opinion i think they will

I don't personnaly think that they have the choice. It would be bad to not support compatibility with old Macs, especially on a Network. And not everyone has or wants OS 9 yet.

Back