accessing terminal on startup

gparis

Registered
I recently had a kernel panic problem which forced me to go into verbose mode and set OS9 as the bootup OS. Since then, i haven't had any more kernel panics.

It was a hassle to get the computer to load into verbose mode, and the kernel kept dumping each time I logged in.

Is there a way to set up a kernel login as part of the options when I get to the user select menu?

Can I easily create an account that will go straight to a command prompt upon login, before even trying to go to the main OSX GUI?

Do you mean single-user mode (hold Cmd-S at startup)? Verbose mode is the same as normal startup, except it shows white text on a black background instead of the pretty Aqua loading bar (reminiscient of Windows 95-age computers). Single-user mode boots to a command prompt.

Arden said:
Do you mean single-user mode (hold Cmd-S at startup)? Verbose mode is the same as normal startup, except it shows white text on a black background instead of the pretty Aqua loading bar (reminiscient of Windows 95-age computers). Single-user mode boots to a command prompt.

Well, I tried single-user mode and that works for me, so heh, I guess it's pretty pointless to have that an option on my login menu.

I thought verbose mode brought me to a command line prompt.

To turn on verbose boot logging all the time, in the terminal, type:
sudo nvram boot-args="-v"

Back