Accessing Windows drives etc on 10.1?

garretwp

Registered
I thought mac 10.1 offered a way to access window drives etc on mac 10.1. where is this feature located?

Garrett

Go to the Finer, click Go --> connect to server.

In the address filed type:

smb://user@host/sharename

host must be an IP or a resolvable DNS name.

I have not been able to get that work myself.... I am wondering if any has?

smb://username@IP-HOST/sharename .... does not work for NT/2000 shares ... any luck on 95/98 shares?

I've been able to connect to both win2000/XP servers using the "Connect to Server" menu option.

I had some problems connecting to Win servers but as I began problem solving I discovered that you can't use IP or host if the servers are on a NAT network.
(There might be other circumstances under which this problem could occur.)

If that's the case you mount the shares using the servers _System Name_ (server name).
smb://systemname/sharename

I tried that method first, before reading about the previous... I thought the proper syntax was smb://servername/sharename ...

But all I get is, a dialog box stating "No file services are available at the URL smb://blaaa/blaaa."

Now, the servers I'm trying to connect to are NT and 2000 systems running only TCP/IP and even have proper hostnames via DNS ... so there must be something to tweak or try ???

I wonder though..... I had installed the Dave for X software on 10.0.4 and that could be what is causing smb:// to not work for me ???

humm... anyone have any ideas on that ?

I can seem to get it to work. try smb://laptop/c and it loads the info and asks me for the workgroup/domain, user, and password. the share is coming from a win me computer. what do i have to do to get it to load?

Garrett

Don't understand your question.

The share will mount as any other share (i.e Appletalk) if you provide the correct user info (name, pass, domain).

What do you mean by "get it to load"?

Well... It was Dave, as far as my problem... after running the Dave installer and choosing "uninstall" ... then rebooting ... smb://whatever/whatever works like a charm !!!

The info below is for connecting to any windows computer with sharing enabled.

To connect to the PC throught OS X.1 first select the "go" menu in the finder and selcet "Connect to server..." (this is also possible by pressing command K [apple + k])

In the dialog that pops up, enter the appropriate info into the "Address" text box.

Here is the syntax.

smb://domain;username:password@server/drive

Definitions

Domain - when you loging to your windows machine, is it on a "domain" if so you need this. If not, enter the smb share like this smb://username:password@server/drive

Password - does not need to be entered if you don't want to. If it is not entered a dialog will pop up asking for it. (ex. smb://domain;username@server/drive notice the ":" symbol has been removed).

Username - like the password this also does not have to be entered. (ex. sbm://domain;server/drive notice the "@" symbol is also gone now)

Server - this one is obviously necessary

Drive - this is the sharepoint/volume/drive depending on your terminology to which you wish to connect, if you only have one share point on the computer, a drive is not necessary.

What about automatic and via terminal mounting.... I would like to set up a few systems that (When a User of that system logs on, a few shares are mounted automaticly using their specific logon info for those shares)

I'm sure I can simply create "Logon" scripts for each user and place them in each user's logon items, but I do not know the Terminal syntax to make that happen ??

Anyone know this off hand ?

Originally posted by FireWire
Drive ? this is the sharepoint/volume/drive depending on your terminology to which you wish to connect, if you only have one share point on the computer, a drive is not necessary.

Are you sure that is correct?? In another thread here, there was some discussion around this point, and I recall that one of the (many) issues with Finder's 'Connect to server.." bit is that it will not show a list of shares. How many shares there are is irrelevant, since it would have to pull the list (which it doesn't do) to discover that there was only one share there, and then connect to it. Which means that the sharepoint/exported fs, etc is required for all connection types EXCEPT afp:// - which is what you'd expect... ;)

It's a somewhat rare thing to see a Windows machine with only one sharepoint. AFAIK, it would only happen under Win9x/ME (it's been a long long time since I've used either of those); WinNT/2K/XP always have at least three sharepoints: 'Admin$', 'IPC$' and 'C$'. With NFS, it is very possible to have only one, but it is equally rare. And with HTTP... who knows?

I think there's still a lot of work to do to get the nfs, smb and http mounting to work in a little more 'friendly' way, but is very gratifying to see how far things have come in just the last 6 months..

Can someone try issuing the smb://... command from the terminal with open?
Code:
% [b]open smb://blahblahblah[/b]
I'm wondering if that will work, and I can't test it.

-Rob

Originally posted by rharder
Can someone try issuing the smb://... command from the terminal with open?
Code:
% [b]open smb://blahblahblah[/b]
I'm wondering if that will work, and I can't test it.

-Rob

Nope, but this does:

Code:
mount -t smbfs //server/share /local/mountpoint

The local mountpoint must exist before doing this, and it will not automatically display an icon on the desktop. So, for instance, I have a share called 'drop2' on a server called 'sony' that I want to mount locally at /mnt/drop, I issue 'mount -t smbfs //sony/drop2 /mnt/drop'.

Unmounting is simply 'umount /mnt/drop' (or whatever mountpoint you used).

Finder doesn't seem to fully understand this kind of mountpoint. All the filesizes are 1, 2 or 4 MB in size in Finder - if they show any size or type at all. Strange. I hereby accept no responsibility for damage caused by accessing a filesystem mounted like this through finder. :p Everything looks mostly ok in the shell though....

I tried what you all suggested and i can not get a share from win me to load but i keep getting a type 1 error. This is what i put in: smb://laptop/c and i get the dialog box. i but in the password and get ride of the domain and the user and it will not connect. any suggestions for connecting to a win me box?

Garrett

Are you sure the computer's name (the one you're trying to connect to) is "laptop" or that there is a shared folder called "c"?

The error message you refer to (server returned error 1) seems to be a generic error message displayed whenever there is a connection failure.

Try switching "laptop" to something else and you will get the same message.

Therefor, check the server and folder name again.

Originally posted by WhateverJoe
Well... It was Dave, as far as my problem... after running the Dave installer and choosing "uninstall" ... then rebooting ... smb://whatever/whatever works like a charm !!!

I just have to add a "me too" to this one.. it cleared up all 3 of my machines of the connection problems I've been having.

I'm still wondering if/how we can mount X shares from Window's boxes.. any Ideas what the path would look like?

-y

Originally posted by garretwp
I tried what you all suggested and i can not get a share from win me to load but i keep getting a type 1 error. This is what i put in: smb://laptop/c and i get the dialog box. i but in the password and get ride of the domain and the user and it will not connect. any suggestions for connecting to a win me box?

Garrett

I don't think anyone suggested that you remove the domain/username from the popup... Why are you doing that?

The domain name shouldn't matter going to a WinME box unless it's part of a Winnt domain. The username may or may not matter, depending on how the share is set up, but there must be one there. Likewise, the password's importance depends on how the share is set up. In any case (and I just tried this), if there's a password, but no username, Error -1 will occur.

For example, I have a server on my network called 'sony' with a share called 'drop2', which is full access for any user. In Finder's 'Connect...' dialog, I enter 'smb://sony/drop2'. When the popup is displayed, workgroup is blank, and username is filled in with the short name on my MacOSX machine. Password is blank. All I do is hit enter, and within a second, the volume is mounted on the desktop. I guess the point is to keep it simple, and only change things as you know they're needed.

The reason for me not add a user is its a win me box not a nt box. so you dont need a user name correct? I am having trouble to connect to a share thats on a win me box. I type in smb://laptop/mymusic which is the computers name and mymusic which is the share. I keep getting the error 1 message.

Garrett

Back