Accessing Windows drives etc on 10.1?

never mind guys i got it going. something was wrong with the password i gave it so i would not connect. All is good thanks for the help.

Garrett

sniffing around, i found theres a smbutil which seems somewhat like smbclient from samba... check it out... right now i'm fighting with it to log me in w/ a domain id...

I was unable to get afp or smb to work using an IP address. Our NT system names are in WINS, not DNS. Something everyone should take note about. When I put the remote system name into my host file and then try to access it using the name, it worked. Suddenly I was prompted for a domain, username and password. Sadly, this didn't get me in. The shares are open to everyone, so I don't technically need a username and password. However, it won't let me in. Two steps forward, one back.

It also sucks that spaces are not allowed in share names. I hope that gets resolved soon.

Seconds later something clicks...

You'll have to forgive me, I'm a Solaris Engineer, not an NT Administrator, so I'm a little slow sometimes. Even though the NT share is open to everyone, you still have to log into the domain to access it. I punched in *my* username/password for the domain and it worked. Something to keep in mind...

I don't understand what a domain, server name and share name are. We have workgroups... maybe this is why I can't connect?

workgroup: arg
name of computer I'm trying to connect to: Sparky (from another Windows machine)
username: artie
Password: I don't have one -_-;

Please help! :(

I am trying to set it up so that it works on startup as well. Maybe it is possible to applescript it, but I am not seeing anything so far.

I did find in the smbutil manpage that there is a config file .nsmbrc which may help. This exists in the administators home directory and I am still fuzzy and what it is supposed to do. It seems like this is still a work in progress.

Apple probably needs a little more time in making this filesharing easy for everyone.

I'm running a home network (OS 9, OS X, Win 98) and I can't get the 98 box to talk to me anymore. It used to work under Sharity with 10.0.4, but with the 10.1 update, I can't get it to work anymore. I uninstalled Sharity to see if that was causing problems, but I don't that worked.

Anyone tell me how to set up the 98 computer to work with 10.1? Sharity used to just list it in the CIFS folder, but now I'm just confused.

JB

I finaly solved my problem! I'm pretty sure many others have had this problem too...

When you go to Connect, you type in smb://workgroup;username@host/share_name
You have to put in a username (doesnt matter what it is if the PC doesn't have multiple users)
for "host" you put the computer name, not the IP adress
you must put in the share name that you set on the other computer
You don't have to type in a workgroup when you're in connect, but when the next window pops up, you will have to put it in there.

Hope this helps!

Back