Accidentally put my G4 in Target Disk Mode!

saramoore

Registered
I wanted to start my G4 up using an external HD and I thought that's what Target Disk Mode was, but clearly I was wrong, because now I'm shut out of my computer. Some initial online research (using my PC laptop, my only other computer not counting my pocket calculator) tells me that without a second, compatible Mac I am up a creek and won't be able to get out of this Target Disk Mode.

So, what are my options? Do I have any, or is this computer done for? I mean, do I have to wait for a friend with a compatible Mac laptop to come over and rescue me? Or is there some other way to kick my G4 out of Target Disk Mode?

Please help! Thank you.

You should be able to turn it off with the power button. The next time you boot up, it will be in normal mode. I think G4s have hard reset buttons on the front panel, too (the one with the little arrow on it), but that might vary from model to model. If all else fails, I suppose you could just unplug the whole thing, but....that always makes me a little nervous, so I'd only use it as a last resort.

To boot up from an external drive, hold down the Option key when booting up. You'll be given a screen where you can select from all bootable volumes hooked up, including CDs and external FireWire HDs.

To boot up from an external HD, press the option key at startup, I believe.

Just shut down to get out of TDM.

Holding the power button until it shuts down, then restarting whilst holding either the ALT key, (lets you choose your startup volume), or SHIFT, (starts up in safe mode, should help you out.

Back