Account ownership problems on OSX Server

emh_alpha1

Registered
I'm running 3x OSX Servers with OSX Server (unlimited) on them. All current versions, all patched up-to-date. I've had a problem for some time now, where student accounts change owners by themselves.

For instance an account for bsmith (id=2686) might be created. At some point later down the track though, the owner id on the account folders for bsmith will change to someone else. you display the file permissions for the account folders, and they will have lost their physical name, and just display a number there (the user id - usually of another user).

Why is it doing this? Has anyone got any ideas or seen this problem. I have about 700 student accounts, and it's really annoying to have to go through and change them back when it does this. :mad:

Thanks in advance

EMH

I've since discovered that it is changing the id less 1 - so a user who's id is 1035 might become 1034 effectively changing his folders ownership to the user account prior to his.

okay now i've seen some where the numbers are way off - not just 1 digit, but potentially 40 or 50... I dunno why its screwy? I've checked the drive diagnostics, and everything is fine. Still no response from Apple. Anyone else got any ideas? Perhaps even an idea to auto-reset the correct permissions?

Back