Ach - Classic always launches!

kadampa

Registered
Can't figure out why Classic is launghing at every startup/restart now. There are no items in Panther's Startup Items folder. Nor is the "Launch at Startup" button in the Classic pane in System Preferences checked. Any ideas how to fix this recently arrived annoyance?

Thank you!

Do you have Classic running when you shut down? If you do, it will start when you start the machine.

If you have something in the Startup Items that requires Classic, it will also start.

Thanks for the reply, Bob - but no, that's the mystery to me. I shut Classic down as soon as it launches (I've tried shutting it down both right away, and letting it launch, then closing it in the Classic pane), and there is nothing in the Startup Items folder at all.

Jim Lewis

Jim

Do a Find for Classic and trash any .plist files.

You should find one or two like this;

com.apple.Classic.000a27e3cb12.plist

Bob, or anyone with a good idea ...

I tried trashing the .plist file I found on a Find search for Classic. Every reboot, though, the same .plist file is created "By Host" in the Library/Preferences file: com.Apple.Classic.0005020954ba.plist

Any idea how to get the system to stop doing this? Oddly, Classic launches, then unsuccessfully looks for a couple of Palm files used under System 9.2.2. I've tried removing the Palm files in System 9's Startup folder that it looks for, but that makes no difference either. The "Host" keeps making the .plist file.

Just an annoyance, sure, but I'd like to get things back working right again.

Thanks for any help,

Jim

The .plist files are preference files, and are created whenever the Classic environment launches if they don't exist already. However, I suggest you disable Classic altogether by removing (NOT deleting) the Preference Pane and any other files with the word "Classic" in them from your System > Library folders. Afterall, Classic can't launch if there's nothing to launch it...

Thanks Arden. Kept puzzling, and problem solved by just uninstalling anything relating to the Palm I was trying to keep alive in (ancient) System 9. Time to move on!

Hope your evening is splendid, and do appreciate the help,

Jim

Problem *not* solved - on every boot the file "com.Apple.Classic.0005020954ba.plist" is created in the Library/Preferences folder, apparently causing Classic to launch, and then simply quit. As Classic had been looking for some Palm files I used with System 9.2.2 (with no problem prviously) I had thought that was the problem. All that's uninstalled and trashed, yet the problem with Classic persists. Even Arden's suggestion above didn't solve the problem ...

Any ideas where this behavior is coming from, and how to resolve the problem would really be appreciated.

Jim

Read my post again. I said uninstall anything Classic-related in your System folder, like System > Library > CoreServices > Classic Startup.app (don't delete it, but move it somewhere else like your Documents folder). That should disable Classic entirely.

Are you running Jaguar? What happens if you select "Warn before starting Classic"? Also (stupid question), are you still using OS 9 or Classic for anything else at all?

Classic-launching culprit found! Sincere thanks to all for helpful suggestions!
'Twas a small applet watching for a device (in this case a camera). Had been left in numerous places by a program that came with a friend's camera. I had loaded, then discarded, the program out of curiosity. Last vestige fo the program removed from a folder in Library/Application Support. Lessons learned:
1. Just because a program looks like a X program when it loads, and "requires" 10.x or higher, doesn't mean it's X.
2. The System Preferences Window was a good place to find out what was launching Classic. (The applet showed up there - took me awhile to see!)
3. Need to use Find with several different naming conventions in order to locate all the clutter left behind by some programs.
4. Just plain rude how some programs just want to take over things from the lowest level!
Thanks again to all,
Jim

Back