Actiontec ADSL Gateway and Netgear wireless

I just got DSL(new apt does not have cable). I have an Actiontec DSL gateway/modem, and a Netgear wirelss router. The DSL modem works fine, but the Netgear won't. What needs to happen? Port Forwarding? Not using DHCP? help...

If you currently can access the internet with your Actiontec go into your system preferences on your mac and write down your network settings. You will need them to configure your wireless router. You will need to change your network settings termporarily to get into the settings on your wireless router. The instructions that came with the netgear should tell you the address to log in with usually 192.168.0.1. username admin password password. The book or logging on to netgear the information should be available. Anyway BEFORE you can login you need to change your network settings on your mac so the two can talk with each other go back into your system and change your network settings probably your temporary mac settings will look something like IP ADDRESS 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 router 192.168.0.1. Now using your internet browser type in the URL box "192.168.0.1" or whatever the book says that routers default address is after you hit return if you have the correct address it should ask you for a username and password which the book also tells you what they are usually username "admin" and password "password" After you have logged into the router you will probably want to turn off dhcp and nat in the wireless router as your dsl modem is already doing them. Other settings your going to have to determine such as WEP security type settings. Some router allow you to setup what is called private wireless networking which is pretty easy and probably would suit you as you are in close proximity to other that may scan for open wireless networks. Private networking will not allow your wireless network to be scanned by other wireless machines, but it is still easy to let friends or guest on your network by providing them with the right network settings. Login to most routers is very similar but each is just a little different I guess to keep it interesting or something like that. Sorry I can be more clear but I got to go good luck.

Back