active directory and mac osx need help :)

davidaspey

Registered
ive a windows 2000 server running a .local domain name..
and ive configured 14 emacs running OS X. to access active directory. on the domain.

when ever a network user logs onto the computer they are sent to a black screen asking to login again ..
please help what do i need to do to fix this..

thanks
david
:D

Which version of Mac OS X?

If you head over to Directory Access which is located in Applications-->Utilities, you can configure what type of directory types to use, such as Active Directory, SMB, NLS, AppleTalk, etc. On OS X Jaguar, there is no setting for Active directory but if you use the LDAP3 option, you can configure it for Active Directory. It's sort of a hack and not as nice as the option in Panther and greater, but it's something.

erm 10.4.3 i think i can logon as a domain user and im granted a command prompt.
asking me to login again..

very frustrating

thanks

I think you probably mean 10.4.2 since 10.4.3 isn't out yet. :D

Check in Applications--Utilities and launch Directory Access. There should be an option for Active Directory and you might have to configure it so that the Mac can be bound to the ADS. You also might have to click under Authentication and add a Custom path pointing to your ADS server.

Give that a try and let us know how it went.

right i have already got 14 macs connected to active directory and the macs appears under ads / computers .
but when i login as a domain user i get a black screen asking to login again.
this mac is on the network and have configured the LDAP v3 and Active Directory ..
as you have previously said..
the question im asking is why do i get a black screen as a second login.. but if i logon as a local mac user i get the mac desktop.. can someone please help as i seem to be repeating myself...
i dont have this problem getting linux pc's to connect to ad. please help

That is rather strange. Any reason why you have both the AD option and LDAP3 option enabled? I'm also tryingto do soemthing similar and I was able to do it and login yusing a domain account, but this was with 10.2.x and 10.3.x. I never encountered the "black screen" you mentioned but then again I didn't use both LDAP3 and AD, just the AD.

Is the "black screen" that you are mentioning a command line login?

well i follows advice to setup ad connection using the active directory .. and it told me to use the AD Option to bind the computer to the Win 2k Domain.
i then used the ldap v3 for connection ..
yes the black screen is a command line login..
thanks
david

Back