Active Server Pages on Apache?

dfbills

I've been trying to find out the best way to run active server pages on my MacOSX Apache server. The only tool I've found is iASP from Halcyon Software.

Unfortunately, I've had no luck installing iTools or iASP so far. They appear to install, but I can't seem to get to the configuration page.

For the love of whatever you hold sacred - why would a person use ASP when you finally have a real (UNIX) server?

I 'm sure you spent some time learning asp or paid someone to write some stuff for you in it, but take the step - find the strength to put that silliness behind you.

Learn PHP or embPerl or something like that. You will thank yourself in the long run.

Atoms,

I for one just went out and bought books on Perl and PHP4. Hoepfully I'm not too old to teach them to myself, but I agree they are far better than ASP... and more worth the time.

Ciao

I am looking for an alternative to running Windows Operating Systems just to do asp development for work. You guys aren't helping much. I have no other choice.

Furthermore if Mac OS X wants to be seen as a serious alternative to hosting, it is going to have to support as many standards as possible. You can't tell your clients "just learn PHP" when they want to use ASP.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

When coding ASP stick to WinDoze. Why spend $2500+ for a Mac and OS X when you can spend $900 for an NT or W2k box running IIS or PWS?

You'd be better off having both, and just using your Mac as the editing environment. Get BBEdit or somthing and edit over an FTP connection to the Windows box...

(When the hell is BBEdit for OS X coming out!?!?)

Queston: Is Apache cAsE sensitive in regards to URL filenames? ... or does it follow the CaSe sensitivity of HFS+ and UFS?

I've been waiting for BBEdit for OSX and yesterday ran into Pepper, a sweet little text editor that might out-BBEdit BBEdit. Apple's got it linked from their macosx page

When you already have MacOS X and a Macintosh, buying a $900 PC isn't a money saver, it's an additional investment. I hope, along with dbbills and many others that ASP and many other technologies will be ported. More applications and support will only serve to strengthen OS X.

Originally posted by swinte
I've been waiting for BBEdit for OSX and yesterday ran into Pepper, a sweet little text editor that might out-BBEdit BBEdit...
Wow! This is just about the most blasphemous thing I think I've read on this board yet... :(

Well, actually, that it what I thought until I downloaded it and checked it out. I'm not saying this is absolutely going to convert me, but I have to say that this is a VERY good editor.

I don't admit this lightly. I've been a BBEdit lover since version 2.x.

Thanks for the great tip. (I'm just sorry that Bare Bones left themselves so wide open on this one.) :)

I tried Pepper. It was quite good. It even defaulted to BBedits key combinations for most functions...

But alas BBedit for OS X is now out, and it is better than Pepper.

B'Bye Pepper! It was nice meeting you!

sorry to drag the thread back so close to the original topic, but

Anyone tried, or given any thought to running Jakarta/Tomcat?

Yes, I installed Tomcat; it starts up just fine, although I haven't yet tried too much with it (that's this week's task.)

For ASP on non-Windows platforms, take a look at ChilliSoft's attempts.

www.chillisoft.com - I've not used it, but I believe it has very good reviews and works very well.

On the why run ASP on OS-X angle, I'd have to ask the same question. As nice an OS as OSX is, it's really not a large scale web hosting server OS. And I doubt you'll see development for ASP support coming quickly, esspecially when OS's like Solaris, Linux etc etc have already got it and are probably much better suited to hosting mass numbers of web sites.

That aside, it'd be nice to be able to TEST an ASP site,
on your dev box right? Honestly, your ASP test box should really be a true NT/IIS/ASP box, and the arguement that you can't tell your clients that they can't run ASP, is indeed a difficult one.

For cost and performance sake, I would seriously be looking at an x86 machine, running Solaris, and some form of existing ASP support. Save the Mac and OSX for the workstation where you can enjoy using it :)

*shrug* then again.. I totally understand your position.

Good luck, Andrew

Originally posted by Dominion
Honestly, your ASP test box should really be a true NT/IIS/ASP box, and the arguement that you can't tell your clients that they can't run ASP, is indeed a difficult one.

For cost and performance sake, I would seriously be looking at an x86 machine, running Solaris, and some form of existing ASP support. Save the Mac and OSX for the workstation where you can enjoy using it :)

You give conflicting advice here, your first answer is the better one; if you need to develop ASP, you should have a Windows server, either NT or (preferably) 2000, with Access and/or MS SQL Server, since this is most likely the environment your work will be deployed on.

The problem with non-Windows ASP implementations is that they are by nature incomplete since ASP is tightly tied to the underlying Windows services and applications. For many situations, this may not be an issue, but don't forget that Murphy's Law still applies. While there may be legitimate reasons why you would want to develop or deploy ASP on a non-Windows machine, I wouldn't choose it as a development strategy unless there were no other reasonable alternatives.

Originally posted by dfbills
Oh-oh!

A real question? I better flame you.

dfbills,
Sorry if you interpreted my original response to your post as a flame.

That was not my intention. I may bave been flaming asp, but I did not mean for that sentiment to be applied to you personally.

I think you should be commended actually for not wanting to do your development in a winblows environment.

Given the state of the economy, we can't always afford to pick and choose our clients, even if they made some bad technology choices in the past...

That being said, the last time I worked on an asp project, I did some of the coding on my OS X box, and used version control (cvs) to update the files on the development server (an NT and later a win2k box). Because the server was a remote box, this technique turned out to be a bit too much rigamarole. (vnc... don't ask)

I ended up installing a copy of the application on a laptop (which was pretty darn easy via cvs) running windows98 and the cheesy, but perfectly adequate Personal Web Server.

Because as a developer, I need to develop in both ASP and PHP, OS X allows real easy php integration now I just need a ASP fix. I work on my Powerbook and because of OS X I can develop in PHP and MySQL from any where... I mean any where. If someone has some more suggestions for ASP I am all ears.

Originally posted by Soapvox
If someone has some more suggestions for ASP I am all ears.

I suggest you contact ChiliSoft to see whether they have any info about releasing their product on OS X (since they are now owned by Sun, it's not clear whether they will be interested in OS X.)

I believe there is also an Open Source project to implement ASP on non-Windows platforms, but I don't recall the project name at the moment; my impression is that it isn't very far along, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by dfbills
I've been trying to find out the best way to run active server pages on my MacOSX Apache server...
So you've already answered the question "Active Server Pages on (Mac OS X +) Apache?". The answer is "No, not natively".
Originally posted by TommyWillB
...Why spend $2500+ for a Mac and OS X when you can spend $900 for an NT or W2k box running IIS or PWS?...
Originally posted by Jadey
When you already have MacOS X and a Macintosh, buying a $900 PC isn't a money saver...
Well why would you by a Mac in the first place if your goal is to do ASP development?
Originally posted by Dominion
For ASP on non-Windows platforms, take a look at ChilliSoft's attempts.www.chillisoft.com...
Okay. If since you're not willing to pay $900 for a PC, why they hell would you go spend even MORE $ on something like ChiliSoft's tool? It might run some of your code but not nearly as well as native ASP would on the $900 PC mentioned above... and then there are still the hurdles you'll have to jump through to do COM object stuff...

So can we let this thread die now?

Back