Active window

sinner.man

Registered
Hi Everybody!

I've very fidget problem.
If I have opened more windows (e.g. Mail, TextEdit, Finder, Preferences or anything else), I'm working in one e.g. TextEdit and after click on Mail, the Mail window didn't appear active, but some another window appear active, so I must click to the Mail window again.
I've Mac OS X 10.4.10.

Can somebody help me?

Thank you very much.

Have you tried using Expose to view all of your open windows? Hit F9 and you should be able to see all of your windows, then click on the one you want. That's one way to deal with switching applications. You can also Command-Tab to the application you want active.

Have you tried the ol' standby, repair permissions? That's usually a first step in quirky problems like this. To do that:

Go to Applications/Utilities
Select Disk Utility
Select the startup disk and click First Aid
Click Repair Disk Permissions

Quirks like you're experiencing often happen after installing or upgrading software. It's a good idea to do this when you installl/upgrade.

Hello!

I think the problem is maybe in windowserver. I attached the log file....

But what can I do with this?

Thank you for your support very much.

Attachments

• windowserver_last.txt
    73.6 KB · Views: 9
Have you tried starting in Single USer Mode or from the installation discs and run a Disk Repair using Disk Utility?

In SIngle User Mode, you'd be using fsck -yf, but it would do the same thing that Disk Utility does when you select to Repair Disk.

Try doing either of the two until it says that the hard disk is OK and then see if it resolved the problem.

Have you tried starting in Single USer Mode or from the installation discs and run a Disk Repair using Disk Utility?....

So I tried repair the disk via Disk Utility. I started it from the DVD. The HDD needed the minor repair, but the problems with windows is still here. :(

A quick googling of some of the key words in that log brings up some issues with VirtueDesktops. Do you by any chance use that, or anything else that creates "virtual desktops"?

It also seems that these errors are frequently related to Spotlight (go figure!). Can you still use the little Spotlight icon in your menu bar? If not, check out http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2411992&tstart=0 for some possible fixes. (Specifically, the posts about MagicMenu and SystemUI seem promising.)

When did this problem start? Can you think of anything you installed or updated around that same time?

It's probably worth testing a second user account to see if the problem is system-wide or something user-specific.

Thank you very much. I stop the VirtueDesktop and now everything is fine.It's average, because this software is fine. Now I must wait for Leopard and Spaces. :)

I'm glad that you finally got this resolved, sinner.man. I haven't used VirtueDesktop so I would have never suspected that. Kudos to you Mikuro for figuring it out. :)

Back