ActiveX Issues

clemare

Registered
About IE....

Some sites are IE compatibles, but others have ActiveX scripts in their code... Safari is Geko based, so it will never support ActiveX Technology and that is a bad news for corporate users who have to access internal sites (aka intranet) that use ActiveX.

I'm really worry about this....

clemare

ActiveX isn't a scripting type, it's a way of embedding programmed "objects" into a web page. You'd use it to, say, embed a menuing system, a custom media player, deliver a plugin, etc. within a web page.

One of the strengths is that it they are very much tied to windows - it's easy to build, ActiveX components can be used in a range of areas including Windows apps, they tend to be fairly efficient, etc.

One of the major downsides is that they are very much tied to Windows. ActiveX components are compiled objects and tied to a particular platform. They also rely heavily on Windows technology.

I'm fairly certain (web designers correct me if I'm wrong!) that M$ hasn't included any ActiveX technology in its IE for Macintosh (which might have actually prompted more take-up of ActiveX, but would have been a pretty major engineering job)

Rip

Back