(actual) iPhone Prices

Qion

Uber Nothing
I stopped by a local Cingular store today and asked about iPhone plans.

One of the guys working there told me that on top of a basic account with minimum minutes (about 30 or 40 dollars a month), you have to have a data package, which in itself will be around 40 dollars.

We're looking at a minimum cell phone bill of 80 dollars a month on top of fees and the phone itself.

Ouch.

I thought this was about (actual) iPhone prices. But I guess those 499/599 figures are not in question here. I still wonder whether they're really unsubsidized - and why then not just sell the phones without contract. What interest _does_ Apple have in locking themselves to one network if the network doesn't subsidize the phone which would in turn sell much more phones? ... :/

I was seriously considering signing up today, but 599 (or even 499) plus everything else was way too much to justify. If I have to get a two-year contract with a $80/month data plan, at least subsidize the phone.

As far as Apple's choice goes, Steve said Apple picked Cingular for their popularity.

Well... I don't think this was about popularity. It was about which GSM providers were available, since they _wanted_ to go with GSM. And then, they had to find one which actually wanted to partner with them without telling them what not to enable. I guess cingular/at&t were the one that agreed.

I still don't get, though, why Apple didn't just release the phone at a decent price (499/599) _without_ contract. Just for the nice voicemail feature? It's nice, yeah, but not _the_ killer feature. (Plus: If this really was created by at&t, then other phones will get that feature. Other networks might add such a feature as well. It's basically easy. Save the messages as MP3s or another digital file and make a client get the messages over GPRS/EDGE/UMTS...) Ah well... I'll just wait to see how the European market entry goes and when Switzerland is going to get its iPhones... :)

I was seriously considering signing up today, but 599 (or even 499) plus everything else was way too much to justify. If I have to get a two-year contract with a $80/month data plan, at least subsidize the phone.

As far as Apple's choice goes, Steve said Apple picked Cingular for their popularity.

Cingular might be popular, but there know for being sucky, Verizon is probably the bst cell phone provider out there.

Don't US Providers not cover the whole country? Does that mean you get charged extra from calling from end of the US to another? Just curious.
No indication which providers will offer it in Europe, but they can't stick to an exclusive provider, the others would just practically give away Nokia N95s and other recent smart-phones in response.

My bet is that Apple/AT&T are looking to kill the "buy and ebay" option many will want to take, to make a nice profit on their waiting in line, that is my guess. If you have to go in and sign up for a 1-2 year contract at purchase time, then buying more than one phone, might seem silly, unless the ebay payout is just too good and offsets any of those costs.

FlashMac - Typically, through wireless providers, you can call anywhere in the USA and you just use standard minutes on your phone plan. If you exceed those phone plan minutes, a long-distance call is still treated like a local call.

It could be possible to live in an area without Cingular/AT&T wireless coverage, but this would be a small percentage of possible market. Also, some cities have better coverage by a given carrier than others. I was a long time Sprint user in Kansas City, and switched to Cingular in 2006, solely because of rumors that the rumored iPhone would come out on Cingular only. I have been with happy with the Cingular service in this area.

Thanks for explaining that Scott. Yes I think they'll kill any Ebay action as I don't think all of the iPhone's functionality will work on Providers that aren't offering it as a device, I'm thinking about network services and stuff.

I checked out the plans today on their website and for an existing customer the $20 month entry level is nice. I am sure most people will opt for the $40 with the extra features if they are an existing customer. Even the entry level $60 for the new guy is decent.
When I first heard about the 2 year plan I thought it would be expensive and a hassle. Now it looks affordable. I think Apple chose to lock out other providers due to support issues and power struggle. For example, Verizon wants to use their own music store for its customers. By requiring an iTunes account this is limiting their customers freedom and Apple would have to change their phone to accommodate Verizon. European cell phone companies will join in the melee complaining Apple needs to open up the iPhone to support their applications. After all, existing customers want Apple to have built in features that are specific to their carrier. The list goes on and on until unlocking the phone turns it into just another phone.
Apple designs great products that work seamlessly. Yet someone always has a complaint that it doesn't do this or that. I assumed people are switching to the iPhone because their current phone sucks or the service of their carrier is bad. Perhaps they like the design and are hoping Apple will change their mind and unlock it on Friday. :rolleyes:

I agree; it looks more affordable. Now all I have to worry about is the fracking early termination fee of my Centennial account; they've been trying to twist my plan in ridiculous ways, like charging me for calling myself for hours on end (at the same time, of course, as I have other calls).

I wonder if the ultimate user response to the introduction of the iPhone will amount to the hype Apple is giving it. I know it's a very nice device, but the attention they're giving it is almost overbearing.

Apple first tried to get Verizon to carrry the phones but they did not like all the red tape Apple want them to go through. I guess ATT jumped at the chance to make some money maybe be able to fix the network they are clear at the bottom for just about everything.

I stopped by a local Cingular store today and asked about iPhone plans.

One of the guys working there told me that on top of a basic account with minimum minutes (about 30 or 40 dollars a month), you have to have a data package, which in itself will be around 40 dollars.

We're looking at a minimum cell phone bill of 80 dollars a month on top of fees and the phone itself.

Ouch.

Min $60, Max $220:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118289311361649057.html?mod=blogs

I agree; it looks more affordable. Now all I have to worry about is the fracking early termination fee of my Centennial account; they've been trying to twist my plan in ridiculous ways, like charging me for calling myself for hours on end (at the same time, of course, as I have other calls).

I wonder if the ultimate user response to the introduction of the iPhone will amount to the hype Apple is giving it. I know it's a very nice device, but the attention they're giving it is almost overbearing.

Apple's doing the usual marketing, but it's the media at large that's really propping up expectations. Every blog and podcast having to do with macs is discussing the iPhone on a regular basis.

Not personally a big fan of contract phones, hopefully by the time the iPhone reaches the UK there will be some sort of 'pay as you go' option available where the handset doesn't have an extortionate price tag.

I've just ordered an N95 to get me through in the mean time. :)

Not personally a big fan of contract phones, hopefully by the time the iPhone reaches the UK there will be some sort of 'pay as you go' option available where the handset doesn't have an extortionate price tag.

couldn't agree more. I already pay $100/month for Internet (not to mention my mortgage and utilities!) and refuse to add more monthly bills to the pile.

I will only consider buying a phone if I can use a pre-paid contract. That probably means buying an unlocked phone, which will be difficult.

Mind you, by the time it reaches Australia's shores, there will probably be an iPod with iPhone capabilities (minus phone), which I would probably take over a full-featured iPhone.

Speaking of which -- what do people think about the long overdue iPod 6G? Are Apple holding out until the iPhone is released? I expect shortly after iPhone is released they will come out with the new iPod (perhaps it will be a special event along with Leopard release)

I've just ordered an N95 to get me through in the mean time. :)

That's one hell of a phone to tide you over. That's like ordering lobster to keep you going between breakfast and lunch!

f_Picture1m_0a2a817.png

lol.

Back