ADC graphics cards for QE?

lethe

Registered
so everyone is talking about upgrading graphics cards, they all want to be able to run quartz extreme. now my problem is, i have an ADC apple flat panel display, so i would need to get a card with an ADC port in it.

i have not been able to find these cards for sale from any retailer, or on nVidia or ATI website. they do have mac versions of their cards, but only with DVI port, not ADC port. to use a DVI port means spending $150 on an adapter, over the price of the card (at least $200?)

it also means losing the neat benefits of ADC: i have to give up a USB port, i have to take up an extra power socket, and i ll bet that the power button on the monitor will stop working!

so, i ve looked far and wide, but found nothing. is there anywhere i can purchase an ADC graphics card upgrade?

let me show you what the ATI website said about the 8500 mac version, from their user guide pdf.

OK, well i couldn t post a pic, because i don t know how to turn a tiff into a jpeg, but check out page 4 of this:

http://www.ati.com/support/manualpdf/Radeon8500MacEditionUserGuide.pdf

Apple branded digital flat panel displays with an ADC connector must use a third party connector.

OK, so this is exactly what i don t want. now i know ATI can make cards with ADC connectors, what i want to know is if you can buy them separately.

well in case anyone is interested, if you need to buy a card with an ADC port retail, the nVidia Geforce Titanium retail version has one ADC port and one DVI port. the retail versions of the ATI cards still only have DVI ports.

You can't purchase an ADC card from ATI or Nvidia. New ADC cards are available only from Apple, either in a new system or as an upgrade kit (the Gf4 Ti card was recently made available in this way). Used cards can be found on eBay.

Back