Added memory not recognized!

Hammer45

Registered
I just changed out my 256MB chip and installed a 512MB memory chip. The problem is, my iBook doesn't seem to know it! The System Profiler and Top both report the same 384MB total it had before. How do I get the iBook to see the additional memory?

it should just see the right memory, unless the module is of the wrong type or possible wrong size. Maybe it's really a 256mb module and not a 128, only way to really check would be to put it in another notebook =/

It seems like that you have a bad memory module. What you have to do is to get a refund of it. I have a 512 MB memory module to sell. It worked flawlessly with my previous ibook. Now it is working in my new powerbook. As far as I know PC133 sodimm memory works in ibook, powerbook and new iMac memory slot. Test your memory using one of them. Good luck.

Aha! The AppleCare document explains a problem I had - I bought a 256Mb PC100 SO DIMM for my PBG3 and it was showing up as a 128. I had to pay more to get a Kingston 66MHz version for it to work right. Not very well thought out those firmware updates!

Back