Adding a Latest News section.

jonparadise

Registered
I'n in the middle of developing a relatively simple site. On the index page there is a 'latest news summary' section, that links to the main news page.

Instead of updating the front page manually, what is the simplest way to code the page to automatically update the 'latest news summary' (say with just a title and the first paragraph) when I upload the full news article to the main news page.

Very much like they do on regular news sites.

It'll need to be scripted in some manner, PHP would probably be the best choice though there are other viable ones out there.

Do you have access to PHP and MySQL on your server would be the first thing to find out.

Is there anyway to do it through HTML code? I know, HTML is quickly becoming outdated and is not very powerful, but is there no way?

Manually of course...but if he wants it to auto update, then he'll need some kind of scripting to handle that.

There's a bunch of free options out there, you just have to look around. Check out www.hotscripts.com to see if they have something that might work for you.

I think the better idea is to make a news module with PHP & MySQL. You'll need a backend where to add/update/delete news into the database. Then, in the visible part of your site you'll have to make the code for three pages: The home page script where you'll retrive the latest news, a full list of news and the news page itself. All these can be done very simply with PHP. Just ask me if you want!!

Back