Adding a second network port -- how-to?

obeghain

Registered
Hi,

Due to an incident (thunderbolt) the ethernet built-in port of my old G3 beige (233Mhz) has been dammaged. Since nothing else has been dammaged, a cheap solution to continue to use that G3 is to add a second ethernet network card (PCI bus). Now, how should I proceed under MacOS X in order to have that 2nd network port activated and used instead of the built-in one? Thx.

Thx and regards,
-Olivier.

Since no one else has replied, I'll give it a shot. On my Pismo I have the built-in ethernet, airport, and pccard wifi card. The internal and airport simply show up in my network config (en0 and en1 respectively). I assume worse case you slap in a Mac compatible nic and install a driver and it will show up as en1. It may even detect the card and add it for you automatically. But in any case OSX should have no problems, just enter your "real" info for the new interface and leave the old one blank or dhcp (if the interface is hosed, then it won't get a valid ip). OSX will handle routing your traffic through the working interface.

Trying to remember back that far to when I installed mine (all of six months), that sounds right – OSX will detect the new card. If you need to (i.e. if you find nothing's happening), set up a new location in System Software/Network and you should be up and running.

OS X may play well with an Ethernet card, but how does it fare with your outdated connections like SCSI, ADB, and serial? We have the same computer as you, which I am using as we speak (well the tower, if you have the desktop), so I know a good bit about using and opening up these computers.

Is it possible to take the computer in to get the built-in Ethernet port fixed, just in case installing a PCI card goes completely haywire or flat out doesn't work?

Off-topic: It's interesting how all four of us registered in the same month, yet we have wildly differing post counts.

I have a dual 1 GHz Quicksilver with flaky built-in Ethernet. I popped in an Asante Ethernet card several months ago, and it works great. :) Just configure your Network Preferences Pane so that your PCI card's port is the only one active, and you should have no problems.

Hi!

Thx all for your feedback. I will try it and check the results.

PS: I'm actually struggling in extending my existing wireless network by adding a second airport base station. Do you know if I can mix a standard base airport station with an extreme one to set up roaming?

Regards,
-Olivier.

Back