Adding bookmarks and new folders under multi-level Safari folders

stefmit

I apologize if some of you read the macoshints.com forums, also, as the message below is a repeat of a posting there, which found no echo ... unfortunately :(

Hi, everyone,

I have a question for the the Safari geeks out here (1.1.1 version 100.1, running on MacOSX 10.3.2): I have imported my bookmarks from a Mozilla install on a Linux box, based on a hint I found here with the debug options (worked great!!!), and I have the following questions related to adding a new bookmark (based on the fact that my bookmarks are organized in multi-level folders, e.g. OperatingSystems->Linux->Security->Firewall, etc.):

- when opening Bookmarks->Add bookmark ..., how could I possibly collapse all the levels, so that I can easily scroll, and open/drill down into the appropriate level of bookmarks, without having to scroll thrrough all (by default) expanded levels? ... especially critical as some sub-categories may match names, with different higher level bookmarks, thus having to make sure I am where I want to be (e.g. I have a Security folder under OS->Mac, as I have one under OS->Linux, and I have to remember which one I am under, if the "parent" is out of the scrolling window);

- is there any easy way to add a new "level/folder", through Bookmarks->Add bookmark, at the time of salvaging a new one, vs. having to open the Bookmarks in a new window, adding the folder, then returning to add the new bookmark?

I hope the above makes sense ... I am probably hopeful - also - that people may have already run into this before ...

TIA,
Stef

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stefmit said:
- when opening Bookmarks->Add bookmark ..., how could I possibly collapse all the levels, so that I can easily scroll, and open/drill down into the appropriate level of bookmarks, without having to scroll thrrough all (by default) expanded levels? ... especially critical as some sub-categories may match names, with different higher level bookmarks, thus having to make sure I am where I want to be (e.g. I have a Security folder under OS->Mac, as I have one under OS->Linux, and I have to remember which one I am under, if the "parent" is out of the scrolling window);
Hmm... I'm not sure about the Add Bookmark... sheet, but you can select all bookmarks and push Cmd-left arrow to close all open folders in the Bookmarks window.
- is there any easy way to add a new "level/folder", through Bookmarks->Add bookmark, at the time of salvaging a new one, vs. having to open the Bookmarks in a new window, adding the folder, then returning to add the new bookmark?
Check your Bookmarks menu, right, oh, under Add Bookmark... if I read you correctly, that will make it 2 steps instead of 3.

Hope this helps! Happy hunting. (Safari > lions & zebras > hunters... oh never mind. ;))

... you can select all bookmarks and push Cmd-left arrow to close all open folders in the Bookmarks window.

Check your Bookmarks menu, right, oh, under Add Bookmark... if I read you correctly, that will make it 2 steps instead of 3.

A few hours ago when googling for an answer, I ran across this post. I tried what you describe and it doesn't work, but then again this post is from 2004, so maybe things are different w/Safari five years later here in 2009.

Specifically, there's no way to "select all" (that I know of) in the "drop down menu" here:

Start:

Safari 3.2.1 Menu Bar >>
Bookmarks >>
Add Bookmark >>

Then the first drop-down window/menu appears telling you to add a name for your new bookmark >>

Then there is another drop-down menu entitled "Bookmarks Bar" and Safari wants you to chose from all your folders down in there as to where you want to place your New bookmark.

The problem is, I have 25 "Main" Folders, with zillions of additional folders nested inside of those, and ALL of them are OPEN in that dang drop-down menu! Which means you have to scroll down through all of them to reach the folder you want.

I'm sure there MUST be a very SIMPLE way to CLOSE ALL of those folders, but I was not able to do it by using your suggestion (cannot "select all" in the "Bookmarks Bar" drop-down menu as found in the "Add Bookmark" in the Safari Menu Bar/Bookmarks section.

Back