Adding SSD and new HHD TO Mid 2010 iMac, Questions?

slowhatch

Registered
Hi everyone, first time posting here. It seems there are quite a few knowledgeable people here, I'm hoping I can get a bit of advice on some upgrades. I want to add an SSD and a larger HHD to my iMac.

Here's what I have: A mid 2010 27" iMac with the 2.8 ghz i5 processor and the standard 1tb seagate drive(989gb full) along with 12gb ram.

I have ordered an Intel 120gb 510 SSD, Seagate 2tb 7200rpm 64mb cache drive, and a kit with the factory mounting bracket with the proper SATA and power cables for the SSD.

I'm fully aware of the warranty issues and am not worried, so please don't "warn" me.

I am concerned about the fan issue and the best way to reinstall the software.

My current thoughts are to used superduper to clone the current drive to a partition on the new 2tb HHD. That way I can get the machine going and do a fresh install to the SSD. After that I can copy over any files or user folders over to the other partition and delete the old stuff. And I will still have the original drive to fall back on if something should go wrong.

As far as the fan is concerned, I have read that the drive temp is monitored though the power cable and that the cables are specific to the manufacturer of the drive. So my thinking is that by using the Seagate I should be ok.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for any input, Dave.

Did the upgrade last night. Pretty easy overall, though I have to admit that I was a little nervous. My wife would have killed me if anything happened to her "baby".

So now I have the 120gb Intel 510 and the the 2tb 7200rpm Seagate installed in the machine. I used supeduper to clone the new HHD before the install. It fired up with no problems other then the fan being full speed. A warning popped up saying that the new drive installed wasn't recognized. So I used disk utility to format it and it shows up now. Next step is to try to rest the SMC, hoping that will fix the fan issue and allow for 6gbs speeds with the new drives. Then load the OS on the SSD.

I'll keep this updated. If anyone else has any advice please feel free to chime in.

Back