adding / updating files on ipod takes FOREVER

jole

Registered
lastnight i emptied my ipod, and then decided to format it and start fresh, since in certain songs it stops mid-song and skips to the next one. there are some instances where the entire album is unplayable, and it'll hang on each song for a few seconds with the counter at 0:00 and then simply skip to the next song.

after the format, i successfully added one album, which i was able to listen to all the way through. however, every other attempt at adding music is taking far too long.

it's taking more than 30 times as long to add music as it ever did before. i used to be able to upload an album to my ipod in about 20 seconds. now, putting an album on my ipod takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes. RIDICULOUS and INFURIATING. i have to force quit itunes in the end, because it takes far too long for the "updating files" to finish, and i can't eject the ipod while it's updating.

i've tried formatting the ipod and restarting my computer a few times. nothing resolves this issue.

what's the deal ?

Have you tried to run a "Repair" from iTunes? I think that's an option now in the iPod menu. Perhaps something's gone terribly wrong with the iPod's file system.

i've tried both the "repair" in the ipod menu options as well as the "restore" in the itunes 7 ipod config page.

no luck.

i also used disk utility to verify the ipod hard drive, and it appears to be fine.

????

I bought a used iPod that did this. It was formatted for Windows. Is that a possibility?

Another possibility - if it's a USB2 connection - is that you've plugged it into a USB port.

And, final thought - the connecting lead may be faulty.

Back