Address book disappeared while adding new contacts - older Macbook not using Leopard

dragonfly77

Registered
Help! I was in the middle of adding new contacts and two very strange things happened.

1) After adding the second to last contact, I clicked on "All" to start dragging contacts into a new group and there were all these blank address cards in amongst my regular addresses - as if I had accidentally held down apple N and created a whole bunch of new cards inadvertently - but I had not done this - I was adding people one by one - all morning and it had been going just fine.

2) I still had a couple contacts to add so I thought, well I'll just fill in one of these blank cards - don't know where they came from, maybe I did something, so I better just use them - BIG MISTAKE - poof! Address Book is now gone - completely empty and in Mail, all my address history is also gone.

I clicked undo till I couldn't und anymore and although it said 'undoing new entry', undoing x, undoing y - nothing was really changing - everything was still gone.

Apple freak BF then fiddled and fiddled and after half and hour found the meta data files with all kinds of gobbledy gook numbers and letters in the prefix but can't get them back into Address Book to open...

Why has this happened - it felt like some sort of viral attack but I though macs don't get those - what other weird stuff is going on in there and can I prevent this weirdness from corrupting other programs - mail? calendar? Is that possible or silly? And of course most importantly can I get my addresses back?

Thanks!

Back