Address Book Picture Problem

grzegorz

Registered
Tiger 10.4.2

When I tray to add image to card in Address Book I do a procedure correctly using JPEG picture but it works only with my card. When I try to do it in any other card and click SET - the picture does not appear in the box next to card's name. I did try to repair permissions but no effect

Can I re-install Address Book somehow?

I noticed this ('... the picture does not appear in the box next to card's name') once or so, and when the 'Address Book's 'Card, Choose Custom Image' menu item's respective window's 'size' slider was dragged just a little, and then the 'Set' button clicked - the picture was accepted by the respective card.

[
Edited 26 September 2005 06.53
'size' was added above to specifically identify the mentioned slider.

'size' is the name referred to for the slider, by Apple Computer via 'Help Viewer's 'Address Book Help'.
]

The scaling slider, I guess he means. If you scale it a bit via the slider and hit "set" again, it should work, he's saying.

Ok, plan 'B'.

In your '~/Library/Applications Support/' folder should be an 'Address Book' folder.

Quit 'Address Book', if already launched.
Click on the 'Address Book' folder and make a duplicate - 'Command D' or 'Finder' 'File, Duplicate' menu item. A new 'Address Book copy' folder will result.
Open the (original) 'Address Book' folder and then its 'Images' folder. You should see at least one file in it, with a size greater than 4 KB (in 'List' view mode).
Click on the 'Images' folder and rename it 'Images_'.
Launch 'Address Book' and again, try to assign pictures to Address Book entries, including the current user. Success or failure?
If failure, somehow the 'AddressBook.data' file may be corrupted. This I currently do not know how to resolve.

To verify the 'AddressBook.data' file is corrupted.
Quit 'Address Book', if already launched.
Click on the 'AddressBook.data' file and rename it 'AddressBook.data_'.
Launch 'Address Book' and again, make a few entries and try to assign pictures to some of the entries, including the current user. Success or failure?
If successful - the 'AddressBook.data' file was corrupted.

If the 'AddressBook.data' file is verified as corrupted ...
Quit 'Address Book' and delete the 'AddressBook.data' file.
Rename 'AddressBook.data_' as 'AddressBook.data'.
(optional) Delete the contents of the 'Images' folder.
Launch 'Address Book'.
Select all the items in the 'Name' column.
Select 'Address Book's 'File, Print...' menu item.
Select 'List' from the 'Style:' popup menu.
Click on all (or what you want of) the 'Attributes:' list check boxes.
Make any other personal selections.
Click on the 'Print' button.
Quit 'Address Book'.
Click on the 'AddressBook.data' file and rename it 'AddressBook.data_'.
Launch 'Address Book' and start re-entering all the names, assigning photos, etc.

I also repaired permissions which did not fix the problem.

But I did go into ~/Library/Address Book and found that my images directory was set to read only, can you believe it?

I set it to Read/Write and that fixed the problem.

Hope this helps and I have no idea how it got into that situation.

Dave

Back