Address Book to Entourage

Melody

Registered
Hi,

I saw the question regarding moving contact info from Address Book to Entourage, using Vcards. I tried it repeatedly, selecting all my contacts in Address Book, and it said I was moving 244 contacts as Vcards into the empty folder I created on my desktop. When I then dragged the Vcards onto the Entourage list, exactly one name would show up--always the first name on the list in Address Book. Aarghhh!!! It LOOKS like I'm moving them all, but where do they go??

I tried exporting from Address Book, importing in Entourage, and dragging (numberous times). Always with only one card making it in, that I could see.

Help, please--

Melody

Hi,

I'm on Panther (10.3.9), and I tried to download the Addressbook Exporter. All I got was a window of Explorer with a bunch of gobbledygook. My download window didn't open up, for some reason. Then, I tried to email Thomas Engelmeier, I guess he's the guy who wrote the software; when I hit his email address, Classic tried to start. I didn't want to do that, so I quit out of the Classic startup window.

Looks like that software is exactly what I need, though--

Thanks,

Melody

Hi Melody

forget about IE ::evil:: how about trying to use safari ?
check the general preferences of safari to define where you want the download to end up

Double click the dmg file it'll look like an external hd
double click on it and move it's content to you app folder or any location that suits u better

BTW why moving from adress book to entourage, the latter is more trouble than solutions ? How did you start classic when trying to e-mail the guy ? :confused:

do not hesitate to revert :)

Hi, Gig,

Thanks for helping me out. I'm changing to Entourage, because ultimately I need to get the data over to a Windows machine, into Outlook. It's beginning to look rather grim--when I did the import, I did it as tab-delimited (did I say that right?), as I couldn't do it by application type. It looks like on a lot of the records, it now has split a bunch of them into 2 records, with some info on one, and some on the other. I'm not sure how to rectify that without a LOT of work.

If you know of some way for me to get rid of what I did, and re-do it, using the Addressbook Export software, please let me know--and thanks again for your help!

BTW, I'm going to a Windows machine after 3 years of fighting my MLS provider (I'm a Realtor). I'm costing myself a lot of money by my stubbornness in insisting that the world come to me, rather than me go to the world, via the Mac vs. Windows fight. I have 4 different versions of MLS available to me, really wonderful tools, and I can utilize one (with some clunkiness) on my Mac. I have to drive to my office every time I want to fill out a contract or enter a listing. Just not worth the fight any more--

But, I'm not giving up my Mac, I'm just letting my 15yo son use it <sigh>

Melody

After some fiddling I went back to your first idea and I think I might have found a solution :
in adress book preferences : "vcard" change the default format to "2.1" and in the pull down menu choose "UNICODE". Export "all" contact and/or "groups" you created as vcards.Drop the resulting .vcf file(s) in entourage. Let me know if this did the trick I tried and looks ok to me.

FYI also done some searching here which lead me to a script I gave it a try not very succesfull though. It's a 14 day demo and it's a script that tells entourage to sync with adress book.

N.B. I happen to have one of my sons just turned 15, he would have been be a happy camper getting a mac :) his portable pc died recently ....and I'm sure your son will love it.

Don't know what I'm doing wrong, I tried it with the 2.1 and Unicode card formatting, and when I dropped it into Entourage, even though the card is titled "All", directly from the directory in Address Book which is titled "All", only one contact shows up in Entourage. Aarghh!!!!

Melody

I don't know whats wrong I've done it twice all my 371 adresses get imported into entourage no problem.

BTW which version of entourage are you using ?
Have you tried to open the all.vcf card from your desktop with right-click an open with entourage ? it will go straight to the adress book function of entourage.

I have version 10.0.0.0. I tried the right-clicking, and it still just shows the one contact. Even though my v-card says "all", maybe all I'm really getting is just the one--I don't know, can't tell. I have everything selected in Address Book, so I don't know what's going on.

Melody

Melody

you are right ! I'm using 11.1.0 it works fine but tried it with your version AKA entourage X and also end up with only one adress i.o all contacts.

I'm clueless as to why both version don't work the same way or how to go round it.

If I find a way I'll let you know.

Back