Adequate OS X Substitute for Claris Home Page?

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
This is a question similar to the one about ResEdit.

Claris Home Page is THE web design application to use. It allows you to edit the HTML code directly so you can put whatever you want in it, or you could just use the functions that Claris Home Page gives you to make the web site graphically without having to resort to HTML code.

As someone who hates having to learn HTML, and who hates Classic, I have to appeal again to everybody. What's a good, easy-to-use web page design application (shareware or freeware preferably) that is native for OS X? PageSpinner seems to be a powerful substitute, except that it doesn't allow me to visually see my webpages without a separate browser... I can't stand that.

Someone help save me from the beast that is Classic!! ;)

If you're willing to go for a professional level WYSIWYG web design program, Adobe GoLive 6.0 is my personal pick. Macromedia's Dreamweaver is also quite good.

Sorry, they're not free :p

Cheers,
Dak

I'm having the same dilemma with what I use which is a combination of PageMill 3.0, Freeway 2.0, and BBedit Lite. I have GoLive 5.0, but haven't had the time to learn how to use it, but considering that it may be the way to go in Mac OS X, I am thinking about starting.

Also considering that I'll have to learn something new no matter what, I may just try Andrew Stone's suite of Apps centered around Create. I have known Web Objects developers who created all of their sites in Mac OS X Server 1.x (Rhapsody). I think I would be more likely to go that route if I could get a discount for both the Mac OS X and the Rhapsody versions. :D

I'd like to revive this thread because I still haven't found a suitable SHAREWARE replacement. Surely someone can provide some good suggestions for shareware web page creators that are easy to use.

Okay, I don't know if this is true or not, but I hear that Mozilla's "Composer" component is really quite good.

Why not give it a try?

-B

Originally posted by phatsharpie
Okay, I don't know if this is true or not, but I hear that Mozilla's "Composer" component is really quite good.

Why not give it a try?

-B

I hesitated a long time before trying Mozilla's Composer, because Netscape 4.x's HTML editor was so crappy, but Composer is really pretty nice. It's certainly sufficient for my (fairly undemanding) HTML needs, and the price is certainly right. I'm a former Claris Homepage user, and Mozilla Composer compares quite favorably.

Back