'Admin' option won't save to user

ny156uk

Registered
Hi,

I've spent a fair few hours trying to find the appropriate answer to my question, but so far nothing I have read (on here or elsewhere) has solved my problem, any help/suggestions would be wonderful:

(for info i'm running OS X 10.3.9 on a G4 iBook)

Issue:

I have no 'administrator' account, and everything I do to try produce one fails: The only account I have is called 'Paul' is standard and when I select the option "allow user to administer computer" and click the lock to make the changes it unticks the box automatically.

How I Got To Where I am:

I had keychain issues which I tried to resolve by deleting my keychain and starting again (after I had tried the repair keychain/repair permissions without success). Whenever airport was on the keychain would 'corrupt' (I couldn't open it and running the repair program tells me to reinstall the system). I tried turning off the keychain and deleting all my users and starting again. This ended up with me no longer had an 'administrator' login.

Things I have tried:

Using the install-disc's repair program for admin/locked accounts
Adding my username to the admin group in netinfo manager
Running disc-repair, permission repair, keychain repair
Updating my software to the latest release
Removing my existing user and creating a whole new one (still cannot make it administrator)
Starting the computer holding command+s (or is it option and S) and following some instructions (fsck -yf, mount - uw/, nm/var/db/.applesetupdone, reboot) - appeared to do nothing at all

I have access to all my programs/files, I can use the internet but my preferred web-browsers (Shiira and Safari)t will not log on to any site I previously had a keychain for (e.g. Flickr) - but IE will.

In short it seems like my keychain/user-accounts are corrupt/majorly messed up. I am reluctant to do a full reinstall/archive & replace, but if that is the only way round this problem I may just have to do that.

Any ideas/suggestions would be (as Tony Tiger says) grrrrr-eat.

I would try before a reinstall of the OS to take and start up from the install CD. Then onec on there take and use the user acount tool and see if you can reset your acount or make one. I know that in OS 10.4 you can do this. I know that this tool is in 10.3 but I don't know if the adding part is there or if it is just resetting the password. I don't know but you might ask to see if you can use the termal app in the tooles to add a new acount with admin rights I know you can do it on linux boxs and even on unix and some vers of bsd.

Back