Admin Password keeps changing

thowie

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4 laptop and for some weird reason, my password keeps changing on me. I have not been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to it. I have two accounts set up as Admin....my login and the other is a backup login just in case. I'm on 10.4.7. I am set up on a wireless network at home with a router.

One day it is fine and the next when i go to log in I'm unable to. One day I was able to log in as my "shortname" and go in and change it back. The next time this happened loggin in as my "shortname" didn't work.....SO, I logged in with the other Admin account and was able to go into the preferences on my other account and change it back to what it should be.

I really don't understand what is happening. Could someone please enlighten me.

PS
I have also tried repairing permissions and about 2 months ago I reformatted my computer.

Thanks for any help I can get.

What you need to do id trash your prif files for Admin. I know that is not what want to hear but that will stop that from happening.
I had that same thing go a time back. It turns out that it a bug in Admin not OS X. That makes this happen.
If you want a backup just zip the files after you set it up and then put that zip file somewhere safe on your hard drive.

You will have to trash all of Admin's preferences files. in your home Library and in the Application Support folder than in there will be a Admin folder.
From there just trash all of the perf files and reset up Admin with just one user for your one user. If you need more then one user then make a 2nd account on your mac and set up the 2nd user in Admin in there, and then turn on fast users.

Call me silly for asking, but want to make sure I don't do anything wrong cause i've never done this before.

Before deleting these files, shouldn't I create a new user first? Also when I delete these Pref files, and create a new user, that new admin user isn't going to be able to access documents, itune library and photo library, so what do you recommend about this?

Sorry if this seems silly, just want to make sure i don't mess up all my files.

Thanks

I would suggest that you DO NOT follow camgangrel21's advice.
It would appear that he does not know what he is talking about.

Create a new user and give it admin privileges - log in as the new user
and use that account as your working account.

If your password quits changing, the other account was probably corrupted
in some way - if this is the case, you can save any needed data from the
other account and then delete it.

Thanks for the info! What would you suggest as being the best way to move my docs, itunes and photos over to a new user before removing this account that may be corrupt?

The easiest way to back up the data is probably to copy it to an external hard drive then copy it back when you're logged in as the new account.

Back