Administrator password FRUSTRATION

AWS

Registered
I guess I selected a password when I first set up my iMac, but I don't remember doing so. Now when I try to open files, I'm repeatedly told, "You need an administrator password." I don't know the password. I then checked "help" where it says to insert the OSX disc and choose "set new password" after clicking install. Alas, another Catch-22: before I have a choice to do ANYthing at all, a message "you need an administrator password" comes up again. HOW do I find my password or re-set the one that's supposedly there. Several software programs have required me to have this mysterious password. Please help!:confused:

select install OSX and after restart there is an option to just change the administrator password (rather then full reinstall)

Wow, nice one martijnvandijk,

But I am dissapointed, this is a real security problem I see here.
how come its that easy???

-Sighter

Ok, OK, it IS that easy...but I had failed to USE the install CD to start up the machine, hence the repeating "password needed." I guess in terms of security, it might be wise to lock up your installer CDs. And not in a place that requires a password! :)

this is not a security hole. If someone is allowed to change your boot disk, then that person can have total read write access to your other disks. this situation is the same for every OS, UNIX and windows.

You can make it impossible to change paswords with restarting from an MacOSX install disk.

You have to set your Open Firmware Password.

First make sure your firmware is up to date (www.apple.com/swupdates).

Next download the Open Firmware Password software (docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482)

Be sure to remember this password, don't forget it EVER!

(thanks MacAddict August)

Back