Adobe CS, Quark 6, Extensis XI, HP and more! at DbD

potter__

Graphic Designer
Well, the Driven by Design seminar was on the on Oct. 8th and it was un-fricken-believable! Adobe showed the crown, wait let me re-phrase that... Adobe blew the crowd away... with the new features which CS brings the the design world... From 3D in illustrator, to floating CSS text and images in GoLive... all the way back to nested style sheets in InDesign! (For more detail on these features please check with Adobe.com.)

HP as we know has really been pushing that they are on the top of the scale for colour digital outputs and with the new technology they are bringing out, there is no doubt that they are. The colour output on large and small scale printers are something press gooroos would ogle over, and they have the lowest prices with the highest quality!

EyeOne showed us some of their colour calibration products which any designer can really say is important for large scale screens but the technology can only reach a certain point before it is perfect... Which I think it is at... (I got my laptop screen calibrated thanks to the people at EyeOne, Thanks Guys... you rule!)

I know it sounds like I am boasting about everything that was there but as you can probably tell, I have yet to talk about Quark... Well as most of you who have seen my previous notations On MacOSX.com, I am not a Quark fan. But I realized during the conference that I am not alone... When Adobe got up to the podium, you could tell that they are really happy and thrilled with what they do, however, when Quark got up to do his 'Thang', he droned on about himself and how he got there for about 15 minutes then when on to explain why he uses Quark which took another 15 minutes... the rest of his hour was talking about how Quark has made it so that all you have to do to your document o make it accessible for web is 'duplicate document as html'. Which as any true designer can tell you, print and web are completely different mediums and therefore cannot be designed the same way. We read different and we see things different... (on a side not I talked to the 'Quark Guy' about why they created web inside quarks main app instead of doing a separate stand-alone such as the Photoshop/ImageReady and he not only avoided the question but went on the "we didn't feel it was right to restrict designers right to design" route... <cough> BULL <Cough>)

All in all, even though I didn't win the raffle for CS or the digi-cam from HP, the whole thing was really well done. I am looking forward to the whole week of well two weeks between the 22nd and the 30th of October because of all the amazing stuff that is coming out... CS, 10.3, a few design conferences, and many things put through the typography group that I am involved with, I will try to keep this forum up to date with new things as I get them but if you have any questions about what I saw or have experienced, feel free to ask...

Cheers,

P.S. at the DbD, they did the formal announcement of the date for 10.3! that was cool... and the stuff that they are integrating into is is definitely worth the $ they are asking!

Back