Adobe Illustrator 10: slow under OSX 10.1.3

Do you think that Adobe Illustrator 10 runs slower on OSX 10.1.3, compared to Classic

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
There have been increasing performance issues since version 8, which was the last 'liteweight' build before we had all this crap added to it. Don't get me wrong... a lot of the crap is good... but Adobe needs to learn the definition of 'feature freeze' and just work on figuring out two things:

1) how they're going to come to terms with postscript vs. transparency. Currently... the only method they have is to just rasterize it (use a software rip exclusively). It almost looks like they're thinking about dropping postscript and using pdf's for prepress/spooling/proofing. This would actually be kinda cool... because the pdf's are flexible, easily extended, and editable right up until the final bit.

2) trim it down... i love symbols... I love almost everything they've added... but they need to find some fat somewhere, or at least organize things a little differently. It just feels so bloated. All the raster effects are a real pain to apply and I don't really know anyone that makes use of them.

I said no because I thought it was just as bloated and laggy in 9 as X :)

Well, you've expressed my feelings better than I can do it. I agree on each and every point you made - that's why I'm still using the good, old-fashioned 8 - by the way, does anyone asking themselves, where the hell "color-pick from placed bitmap" function dissapeared? Since 9, there's no such thing, not to mention the horrible attribute (as well as color) picking in 9. And yes, none of the people I know, actually use Gradient Mesh - obviously that function was added to impress authors of books, entitled "Mastering Adobe Illustrator"....:confused:

It's a shifted-eyedropper... made more sense than to have a seperate tool for each, IMHO. I -am- glad that the colorspace is consistent through the whole document.

Back